• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJJ concentrates more on the ground, Judo concentrates more on throwing.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Matt,

The majority of BJJ schools concentrate on the ground, just as the majority of Judo schools concentrate on throwing.

Most BJJ schools will teach some takedowns and wrestling, but the % of training time spent on takedowns is not the same as that done in Judo schools.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Generally speaking, the more time you spend at something, the better you're going to be at it. Emphasis on one thing or another presents a higher degree of expertise in one thing or another. In this case, bjj practitioners, on the average, spend far more time reinforcing groundwork than judokas. Contrastly, judokas, on the average, spend far more time reinforcing throws than bjjers.

So... even if he wasn't saying it... i am. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I would say the BJJ has distinct advantages on the mat. Judo would be more devasting on the street. If you don't know how roll out of a throw and your ukemi isn't good and you are not used to being thrown you are done.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I agree with you treebranch. BJJ would be more devastating on the mat because, that is what comprises most of their training. I wonder, what would happen if a BJJ'er was challenged by a wrestler? Wrestlers are fast, agile, strong, they seek to put their opponents on their backs and applying chokes, pins etc. BJJ'ers are trained to go to the ground because thats where they are at their best. I am not even sure if BJJ'ers have a vast knowledge of throws or trips. I think they are more into a double leg takedown scenario. Also they like to go on their backs. But a wrestler would take advantage of them being on their back and choke them out. Numerous scenarios can happen. Now, what would happen if a Judoka challenged a Wrestler. I believe that the Judoka would win, because wrestlers love to lock up in the beginning of the match and judokas are trained to setup the throw from the lock up. So a judoka throws the wrestler fast and furious to the ground and leaves him/her behind because it is over.

Take a deep breath. Feel your feet gripping the ground. Feel the blood move through your body. Feel your heart beat like a drum. It is amazing what calm and collectiveness can do for you.

I wonder, what would happen if a BJJ'er was challenged by a wrestler?

He would get submitted unless he had some knowladge of submission.

Wreslers and BJJ's have fough all kinds of fights and challenge matches over the last few decades. But when you teach a wresler submission thats when you have a really dangerous fighter.