• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds wierd:

I boil my belts in tap water for about 15 minutes then hang dry them. This has worked well for me with cotton belts.

I'm not sure what will happen to a silk belt if you try this.

I don't think much of belts beyond their function. They're inexpensive in case I were to ruin one with this.

Wash your belt! Please! A stinky belt proves one thing: Its owner is a pig!

Oh, and IMHO, the best way to fix a stiff new black belt is to hit them pretty hard a few times in kumite! ;)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

No way I would wash it!! Can't imagine the silk would like that!!

As far as I know even silk clothing gets washed :D

Wash the belt. It's a stupid myth that you shouldn't wash it. Have you ever smelt a stinky belt? Is is better that the smell of a nice soap? I don't thik so.

It's indeed a material that needs attention but it can still be washed. I wash my belt (not as often as the karategi, though) with a very mild soap and in mild water. Hand wash, not machine, so I can controll the process.

Have you ever got dirt lines on the waist on the gi because of the dirty belt? Do you think it's OK? :karate:

So wash the belt ... It's better to have it smelling like roses than like thousands hours of sweating. :D

And BTW ... congratulations for the stiff belt ... well the rank. I'd rub the belt as others already mentioned and it should be softer.

We have this method thats usually done after there's been a grading. We usually fold the belt up into 4 so that it's about a foot in length and then have a partner hold the belt at either in vertically. We then pratice mae geri, using the belt to "drive" through to the oponents stomach. We also then pratic maewashi geri, with your toes pointed up (like mae geri) to the side of the belt! The 2nd is done as slowly as possible :)

from all the styles i have been to it was very tabboo to wash you belt.....

uniforms in my opinion definitely need to be washed.

Yet where i am here, in japan, the local karate schools, well some at least, not all, forbid the washing of the gi, the gi stays in the dojo and they hang them on a wall by the door, and the sweat drips off ......and they really smell, but that is part of their tradition.....so .....hmmmm....just something to think about, not saying you should or shouldnt just wanted to tell some of the things i have experienced around the world in my time.

but again i;ll go back to my original stance and agree with SaiFightsMS also, just train in it....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Okay. I telephoned Kamae, the belt makers, and they advised the same - just wear the belt and it will start to break in. They agreed that the sweat from training and tieing the belt, etc will cause the natural breakdown to occur.

As far as having a smelly belt goes, I can't say I had such a problem with my brown belt which I have had since 1985!! Okay, I haven't worn it since 1985 but either way, it has seen many years of use and it does not smell. Well it does but that is because I use patchouli oil on it to give it a nice smell.

:karate:

Edited by ESA-Shotokan

First ....congatulations on passing your Shodan grading.....good job !! More important.....NEVER EVER EVER wash your belt......Only time and constant use will soften the belt.....the blood, sweat, and tears of training will soften the belt for you.....washing it takes all that away......dont rub it between your hands....dont drag it behind a car.....just wear it and train hard......being in a rush to soften your belt is like being in a rush to learn.....just give it time and it will happen on its own.......the belt is sacred.....please....dont wash it or do anything else to it but wear it......and.....good luck with your training. :-)

~Jules

That's AWESOME advice!

Congrats on obtaining your Shodan! Now the training really starts :karate: