• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking the stiffness out of a black belt

ESA-Shotokan

Hi there.

Having recently passed my shodan grading, I am the proud owner of a brand new Kamae silk over hessian black belt.

Problem is, when I wear this it is as though the belt has taken viagara and so do you have any tips on how to "soften" belt rigidity and thus make it more wearable / knotable?

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try rubbing it together between your hands about 3 inches then move along it aches your hands but should loosen up a little

theres no one style just your style---------

I had the same problem with the new bb that I got, very stiff, and wide. Was uncomfotable to wear, let alone tie with a gigantic knot. Anyway, only 2 ways I know to soften your belt, time or washing. So the choice is yours :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

That's the best way I found to soften my belts - rub them in your hands. Try bending them side to side and up and down as you rub.

Generally, just keeping wearing a belt is the best way to get it to soften!

Congratulations on becoming a black belt 'owner'!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Just a few random suggestions -

Tow your car with it, give it to your dog for the weekend, drop it on the freeway and pick it up the next day, or smack people around with it until either they or the belt softens up.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

First ....congatulations on passing your Shodan grading.....good job !! More important.....NEVER EVER EVER wash your belt......Only time and constant use will soften the belt.....the blood, sweat, and tears of training will soften the belt for you.....washing it takes all that away......dont rub it between your hands....dont drag it behind a car.....just wear it and train hard......being in a rush to soften your belt is like being in a rush to learn.....just give it time and it will happen on its own.......the belt is sacred.....please....dont wash it or do anything else to it but wear it......and.....good luck with your training. :-)

~Jules

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Sounds like good advice to me :)

No way I would wash it!! Can't imagine the silk would like that!!

My suit tends to be ready to wring out after a good couple of hours in the dojo so it will soften up soon enough I guess.

All good fun and all part of the new experience.

:karate: