• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stance changes or not?

renketsu

Hi,

Shotokan only question here I guess - dont know if this relates to other styles or not! :-?

I am curious about stance changes (from zenkutsu to kokutsu and vise versa) in Heian Yondan and Heian Godan and how everyone does them.

We have always been taught that you move your front foot to go from one stance to another (the groin strike then grab at the end of Godan and the knee strike in Yondan).

Having read articles again on 24fightingchickens.com and also reviewed the infamous videos doing the rounds on the web, I notice that the common idea is to just switch stances without moving the front foot (using a diagonal-ish zenkutsu rather than normal).

I hope this makes sense - its not easy to describe but I've tried my best :)

How do you all do the change - front (or maybe back) foot move or just a hip twist and leg straightening/bending to go from front to back stance?

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At my club, in Heian Godan, we generally just do the 'hip twist, leg straightening' combo that you described, but with a very slight front foot movement.

As for Heian Yondan, the knee strike & grab is done in front stance, and the pivot to the shuto-uke in back stance is done whilst the leg is still in the air from the knee strike - the striking leg doesnt go back to the floor to change into back stance, it is done as a pivot on one foot. Eeek, that was really hard to describe!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Cheers for the replies, I never realised there were two ways to do it until yesterday... nice to see how far the split goes!

ESA-Shotokan - thats the way we do it :)

aefibird - In Yondan, I was thinking of the move from morrote-uchi ude uke (dual arm block) to the ear grab before the knee strike... we go from backstance with feet in line to front stance with feet one shoulder width apart. :o (sorry for the bad description previously!)

Cross - Not everyone seems to agree (I do tho) - watching the "blue background" vids from the old JKA, whoever it is doing the demo doesnt do it this way! :kaioken:

Anyone been taught a particular way within the last year or so by any of the senior japanese - I would like to know which one is flavour of the month with them. :idea:

Cheers.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Ah right, well the move in Godan from the morote-uchi uke in back stance to the front stance head grab type movement (sorry, I can't remember the name of it!!) is done as a movement of the front foot in my dojo. It is a full back stance into a full front stance, not really like the sliding/weight shifting movement we do in Yondan.

'Flavour of the month' with Asano Sensei is as I described. Dunno how the other Japanese top bods are doing it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!