• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Historical Shotokan

equaninimus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Very nice site.

Until now I didn't know that there existed a video of Gigo Funakoshi performing the kata Heian Godan. The comment says that the only real thing that has changed with this kata are the back stances at the end. The back stances are performed in Okinawan style, rather than in modern Shotokan style.

I can see more things that Gigo does different. He uses shiko dachi instead of kiba dachi. He doesn't lift his knee up when he performs the fumikomi with gedan barai.

I have also noticed the following. After the jump and the low juji uke when he performs morote uke his rear foot doesn't point forward like in a normal zenkutsu dachi, but instead his rear foot points sideways.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

equaninimus

is there anything out there simular site for wado-ryu??

this site is amazing didnt know footage that old existed

theres no one style just your style---------

Take some of the statements about fotage's age with a grain of salt. The half naked guy doing Nijushiho isn't Okinawans, it is Shotokan Nijushiho, and probably dates from the mid 1930s.

Wado Lee, I'm not going to do your research for you. You are just as capable as the rest of us of doing a google search.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Take some of the statements about fotage's age with a grain of salt. The half naked guy doing Nijushiho isn't Okinawans, it is Shotokan Nijushiho, and probably dates from the mid 1930s.

equaninimus,

The guy doing Nijushiho isn't half naked. The guy doing the old Jitte kata is half naked.

The comment says that the Okinawan Seisho Aragaki created the kata Nijushiho back in the 1800's. But Aragaki actually didn't create it. In fact he only taught a kata named Niseishi at his dojo, which wasn't created by him. Later this kata got into Shotokan where it was slightly altered and renamed in Nijushiho.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi