• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

lets face it you're all wrong martial arts came from an advanced alien species that bought a martial arts book at their local alien wal mart and left it on earth by chance, an animal tore into and the pages scattered to different areas of the world that is why we all have different martial arts in different ancient cultures and they all can relate to each other in a way yet are still different.....good thing those pages were waterproof......

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll agree with both views .....

many of the oriental arts originated with chinese influence and kung fu......

alot of the european arts came from the egyptians, the greece and romans.....

but what most people associate with martial arts today has been strongly influenced by ancient chinese travelers........thats how they spread, a japanese traveler here a chinese there, a korean here and there until they became more popular....and of course i didnt forget the indians either, buddidharma i believe was his name, made a big change for martial arts way back then....so neither of you are wrong , you are both right, but just remember that the original knowledge came from outerspace...the aliens are behind it all!!!!

does it really matter exactly where the very first part of martial arts was started at????

i understand the debate of the chinese influence....but we discussed that....so all is good right?

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

from what i gather the martial arts of the areas (different countires) that surround the old silk road are all very very similar...

hmm, not sure why i felt i had to share that.

sorry.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Yeah, who would believe a football team that claimed to be good cause they one that Superbowl...

Or a runner that said he was fast cause he had an olympic medal...

I also think you miss "no style" meaning, but that is ok.

Think of it as "Not having stylistic limitations" and you'll be better off.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

hmm, i'm not sure if the sports comparisons are that valid.

after all, the guys who are part of the events mentioned (olympics+superbowl) are already highly trained in their specific fields.

again, it only seems to serve in pointing out that it is your training and not the style that determines whether or not you are good.

and yes, the 'stylistic' limitations (or limited perception of style) is one thing that can hinder a lot of people no matter what art they do.

a bjj guy can get too much into the ground-fighting part cos it works in comps.

the traditional guy can put too much faith in their stand-up.

that sounded a bit wrong....

anyway.

like i have said many many times before.

not much new is being said here.

and i would say that it isn't myth and mystic that keeps schools open.

i think it is blind faith: open mind as opposed to rational mind.

i have said somewhere here on another thread that i believe that the styles we have today work.

the only factor that affects their effectiveness is how we train in them.

how many of us traditional guys really can say that we train like how they did in the old days?

how many of us test ourselves in the same way as they did in the old days?

my point was that we don't need to, so we don't.

as a result, our martial ability has declined.

for me i see it as

i) a scapegoat for guys who get beat up (my style wasn't as good)

ii) something for others to beat on (your style is not good).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Yeah, who would believe a football team that claimed to be good cause they one that Superbowl...

Or a runner that said he was fast cause he had an olympic medal...

It can also be pointed out that a football player trains for a sport... as does the runner. The 'endgoal' is to win the Superbowl, or obtain a medal in the Olympics.

While some martial arts may be geared toward sport, that is not the endgoal, therefore the analogy posed is not comparable.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

The football and runner analogy, they are all bound a defined set of rules, and are limited by such. Winning a medal means that your work well within the confines of a 'game'.

A ski race is a timed, the fastest time win, only if you follow the course and hit all the gates. You may get down the hill in the fastest time using a more creative route, but will recieve a DNF, as you worked outside the confines of the game.

UFC also has confines and rules that effect the outcomes. Some promotions ban kicks to downed opponents, elbow strikes from certain angles, strikes to the back of the head, eyegouging, fish hooks, finger breaking, and small joint manipulation. Also they have rounds and refees, and so on.

As for not having "Not having stylistic limitations" there are always limitations, no matter what you train. This is a fallicy and a myth that the MMA likes to perpetuate, along with this unreal concept that they have all that because the are not "bound by a style" that this makes them better fighters. They are still limited by the tools and knowledge supplied through training.