• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how many 'kung fu' guys can you name that entered an mma event?

then compare them to the number of mma guys?

anyway...

let's see.

pure boxers get pounded in K1, therefore boxing is crap.....

my point is name the skills needed to do well and i'm sure i can point to its existence in a kung fu style.

the guy wasn't ready, not that the style isn't able.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DM, that's because you suck! :lol:

Actually, DM is correct. There are two things that determine a winner in type of competition. The competitor and the MA system(s) he utilizes for that particular competition. But, one thing that doesn't slip into the equation is... survival. In a competition, i think of win or lose. In the street, i think of life and death. Different means to different ends.

DM is also correct, in that this has been hashed and rehashed for ages, not merely on these boards.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i know i suck.

that's my point.

i can train for ten years in mma then lose against a good kung fu guy.

does that then mean that mma sucks?

well, no, of course it doesn't....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

Actually I bet Tyson walks through K-1 pretty easily...

But your right, FOr Kickboxing compeition boxing does not have all the necessary skills to be effective.

Good point, Supports the kung fu guys don't do well in MMA argument nicely.

Oh.... but one minor difference

A lot of K-1 fighters also train boxing.

How many MMA fighters train Kung Fu?

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

now i would say you're just picking...

but i don't mind.

it's a valid statement.

like i said, name a skill, type of move/movement/technique needed in a typical mma fight and i can point to it in a kung fu style.

it is accepted taht most martial arts come from chinese arts somewhere.

in a way, the moves you do arechinese (although like most things, this too is debateable).

also, if the guy is training for a mma event then he probably wants to win.

the quickest way is to then train in a mma school which has the experience and can give you the experience to do well.

part of it is just that there is a lot to learn when you take on a traditional martial art.

some of it is about fighting, some of it is about culture.

martial arts in chinese culture isn't always about fighting (although it should make you a capable fight... but that's a different discussion).

mma schools however, are totally different.

they exist to teach guys how to fight like the guys in the events.

whether or not they take part is another matter but that is how they train.

mma type styles is based more on experience.

the nature of mma is to not really recognise any style.

the nature of kung fu is to learn of and from a system/style.

Not all martial arts come from China.

Some Chinese schools claim that for marketing purposes though.

Boxing, Wrestling and Pankration where In the ancient Olympics. No Chinese influence.

The Egyptians have wall painting depicting fighting systems dating back farther then in China

There is evidence to support Chinese martial arts Where started in India.

The world is a small place, different cultures influence each other. A few hundred years ago China was very influential.

But not all marital arts originate in China. Saying that is silly. Every culture has it's own fighting traditions.

Andrew Green

Not all martial arts come from China.

Some Chinese schools claim that for marketing purposes though.

Boxing, Wrestling and Pankration where In the ancient Olympics. No Chinese influence.

The Egyptians have wall painting depicting fighting systems dating back farther then in China

There is evidence to support Chinese martial arts Where started in India.

The world is a small place, different cultures influence each other. A few hundred years ago China was very influential.

But not all marital arts originate in China. Saying that is silly. Every culture has it's own fighting traditions.

Andrew Green

which is why i said that it was debateable....

Before people in the old days determined the effectiveness of a MA on whether or not it kept you alive. Now it's determined on whether or not you win some competition. I'm being taught a MA that was used in death matches and in battle by Takamatsu the Grandmaster before this Grandmaster Hatsumi so it wasn't that long ago. I think someone who survived battle and won death matches has a little more experience of what works in real life than some martial artist who makes his living as a prize fighter. The strategies and tactics of winning a prize fight although impressive won't guarantee the same results in combat. There are different strategies and tactics for Combat that aren't explored in NHB training. End of story. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"