• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Confessions of a Striker

Most of you know by now that I like to work with most any other style out there. Not long ago I had the opportunity to work some with grapplers (which, on a side note, is why I'm back in physical therapy- aggrivated an old neck and shoulder injury). Any how, I have to say that the more I look at grappling, particularly BJJ, the more impressed I am. Tough systems! And the BJJ use of principles and concepts almost makes it like a form of Horizontal Kenpo!

I'm probably not going to be able to do much with ground work and takedowns. But I am trying to do more work right now from the clinch. AK has several defenses that were made for and are easily modified to work from this phase (sorry, I look at it as more a phase than a range). If you guys don't mind giving away secrets, I may have a few questions from time to time.

If you lock your ankles, they can submit you by hyperextending your ankle.

One that I got away without asking: when you are rear mounted underneath (sitting, your legs around his waist and applying a choke from behind- I think I got the terminology right), I was told not to cross my ankles. It seems like that would be more secure, but they said it is a bad idea. I forgot to ask why later. So, why? I know that isn't a clinch question, but it is bugging me that I can't figure it out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt