• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tiger Balm International - Vancouver BC

Went to the Tiger Balm tournement today and did well.

I placed 1st in Weapons forms (I did my long staff pattern) and was eligible for the grand championships, but the coordinator put me in with the regular forms winners. I didn't win it, but that's okay cause I didn't expect to. The guy that did was really good and deserved the win.

In my empty hands forms I did a red belt pattern called Tong Moo 8. I placed 4th and the judge said it was really close to 3rd place and he liked what he saw. He came up to me afterwards and told me, so I felt that was really nice of him to take the time and tell me that.

In sparring, the judges were messed up. First they screwed up on the scorekeeping and advanced me when they shouldn't have. So I had to fight 3x in a row, but it was worth the experience. Plus the judges kept giving points to my opponent, when I clearly blocked and even my cheering section was like WTF? I even got some points in but I guess the judges didn't see them. Oh well, what can you do? I got 5th anyways.

I had a good time and learned a lot, but it was really draining cause there was a lot of waiting time. But the turnout was good.

Red Bull gave me wings!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats on the tournement!

As for judges not seeing the block or the strike, this seems to be a common complaint. :-(

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Congrats on the tournement!

As for judges not seeing the block or the strike, this seems to be a common complaint. :-(

Yeah, but I don't dwell on it. What they see is what they see and their decision is final. At least I got to spar more people. It was great experience to be against different styles.