• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shodan grading with the KUGB

ESA-Shotokan

What proportion of the candidates passed this time? I'm hopefully taking my KUGB shodan later this year.

I would say at least 20 passed, so the pass rate was quite high :)

Sensei Sherry like a lot of spirit. My best advice is especially during the freestyle - do not react to being hit. Even if you are knocked to the floor and it hurts, just kiai when hit and as you hit; it shows the fighting spirit which he loves.

When people are hurt and complain, they fail. It might sound unfair but in reality, most of the hits are not that bad and some people just try to look for an excuse to get the freestyle over with.

Make sure you finish all your moves in the kata. Don't worry so much about speed - he wants to see excellent technique and good form in the kata. Be the last to finish, not the first unless, of course, you are able to apply good form with speed!

Oh and another thing - try to select another kata from Bassai Dai!! Every single applicant does Bassai Dai!!! I think he (Andy) will pass you just for originality if you select another one. Kanku Dai and Jion are better katas too, so go with one of them. He is very fussy about Enpi, so only select that if you are 100% sure. Hangetsu is too slow and you will start to rush it in a crowded grading hall! :karate:

Best of luck with the grading! I'd say do it in Kendall as the Lancaster course will totally tire you out before the grading and then there is so much time for him to see your weaknesses.

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My friend was at the grading earlier in the month in Scotland retaking the kata for her nidan, which she passed this time :-). Although she said there were no other nidan passes, she said that there was a quite a high pass rate for shodan there too with nearly a third passing. Sensei Sherry must be in a good mood at the moment ;-).

There are some others at out club taking shodan soon and two of the lads are just SO good that I really don't want to grade with them and have them pass on the day and me not. I feel I'd like to wait a bit longer, or perhaps I'm just being soft.

I think I will end up doing Bassai Dai somehow. I do like doing Jion, I like hangetsu a lot but I'm sure I'd be far too wobbly with nerves to do it well on the day, as for kanku dai and empi I'm just not athletic enough to do them well.(I must put 'at the moment I'm not athletic enough' or I'll be told off for being negative.) We are being drilled through bassai dai twice a week every week though and we only occasionally do the others in class.

Don't worry, I know what you mean. I sometimes wonder if Andy Sherry gets a bit sick of it - you will see what I mean.

When he asks "Is anybody not doing Bassai Dai?" You can almost see a look of hope in his eyes! :)

Jion is easy enough so get your Sensei to make you practice that instaed.

You'll be happy you did. Yes, you will be doing it all alone but hey, at least you get to set the standard!!

As for the other two people grading, don't let that hold you back. They can just as easily fail. I saw a young boy at the grading I attended fail with his Heian kata; he forgot it half way through!!

:)