• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

eh...help on american karate

ducky

hey im a white belt taking my first MA, and i was wandering if you could give me some info on just american karate.

i know some of you might ask what kind it is, but all i know is that it is american karate, and we don't go by japanese names for techniques. we're a small dojo in a small town, so we are relaxed. (stuff like no uniform reqs).

ps....don't flame me! i don't like to explode :cry:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well welcome to the post.....if i were you i think the best bet would be to look it up on line and see what you get.

maybe if you ask your instructor or fellow students you can find out more information and that would help the rest of us out here on getting you additional info.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

5th dan in what?

The names of the styles are of little importance, as are the ranking systems (they are not uniform)

For example one instructor here that I trained with is 5th degree..and in his 20's! means little....

Go for experience and attitudes in the class. If its what you are looking for than stick to it.

The 'American Karate' term to me sounds like a collective system using the karate name as branding power.

Not a bad thing really if it fills the classes and the teachers have their stuff together.

ducky

don't get caught up by rank and fanciful stories. Look at the instructors and the way they perform the techniques. Also look at the level at which they perform the techniques. Ask the higher ranks to perform at reality speed because you are curious to see how it works. Can they do it effectively and most importantly realistically? Are the techniques so set up during training that you would have trouble making them work in any situation other than your class? I know it's hard to see some of these things when you have little experience. Slow down and try to look at the art objectively (although you may have little to compare it to). If it looks genuine then stick with it. If not, look somewhere else. Did you have to sign a big contract?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Howdy! I study American Karate in a small town as well. Maybe we've met.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."