• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most common practiced kung fu styles?

In Hong Kong,

Wing Chun now become the main stream for CMA for some reason

a) The effect of Bruce Lee

b) Small area need for practising

(Hong Kong property is very expensive due to lack of land)

Choy Li Fu used to be the main stream over 70% from 70 - 80 but

this need vast area on form

c) only 3 fist form, 1 stick play, 1 butterfly sword and 1 dummy-play

:brow:

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i started looking for some kung fu schools in belgium on the internet (it was a quick search though) results:

about 23 wing chun, 1 shaolin, 1 Hung Gar and 1 Loon Hu Men.

if you look close enough you might suspect which style is the most popular in belgium :wink:

Yeah... VERY closely.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

i hate it when americans say europe as if it is a country. germany for example has wing chun as the most practiced kung fu style. and the differences between germany and sweden are like a dodge viper and al bundys old dodge. so please stop acting as if europe was everywhere the same.

Be everything. Be nothing.

I can't stand it when people make the same generaliziation with America ;) Take a roadtrip from Texas to New York, and you'll notice the same thing vice versa. "Americans this... Americans that..."

I've lived in both the US and part of Europe (mostly Europe) and I'd say, Shaolin Kung Fu is probably the most popular in Europe (as a whole) and Wing Chun is most popular in the US (also, as a whole). But, man, Tae Kwon Do is a phenomenon everywhere!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

i agree on the american's generalization thing. that's just such a wrong generalization. im originally from arkansas, then i moved to houston, TX where i lived for 9 years and spent most of my childhood. well then i moved to alabama. and its all such different places. i recently took a trip to New york, and it was like a completely different country to me. so don't get so hyped up about americans being so american and hypocritical.

anyway, i live in alabama right now, and in the uber-small town of 5,000 i live in, we have 3 MA dojos. we have a wing chun kung fu, an american karate (what i take) and a traditional karate. so, id say wing chun is the most popular seeing as the pissant town i live in practices it. btw we used to have a tae kwon do place, but the wing chun took its place over in the gym that its located in

• 7 months later...

most popular styles:

Tai Chi: Yang, Chen, Sun, Wu, Wu/hao, Zhao Bao

Hung Gar: three of five styles predominate, really just two.

Wu Shu

Wah Lum: although based on an animal form its principles have been applied to about one third of Yip Mann's combined experience.

Ba Gua/Pa Kua

Five Families styles: Sil Lum, Buk Pai style/white tiger, White Dragon

Karate or TKD probably have more practitioners than wu shu, wah lum, ba gua and five families combined. probably even hung gar.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!