• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei fear

ESA-Shotokan

I have read in many forums and articles on how people fear their Sensei! I must admit I find that quite crazy if the person who is teaching you and hence requires to earn your trust, is not approachable?

I say enough of all this non-approach "I'm too good for all" crap! Any Sensei who feels they are higher than though just needs a good kick up the *.

Never ever put up with such an attitude. I have been taught by some of the best Sensei and all have been approachable in every way.

:karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree on all accounts;

No one should fear their instructor...if their 'sensei' instills fear, its unlikely a place you want to train.

Overcoming fear is important in the pursuit of martial development....but not by being afraid of the teacher.

Line up for a that swift kick ;)

You can fear what they 'can' do without actually fearing what they 'will' do. Or, you can fear being reprimanded, as opposed to the fear of being physically mauled.

Teachers, whether they be instructors of martial arts, wrestling, or mathematics, hold an element of respect, primarily because they have something to teach you, but secondarily because they hold a 'portion' of your future in their hands. This creates a degree of vulnerability in a student.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

There is a big difference between a healthy respect and fear.

Sometimes immature students have fear when actually it is the vulnerablilty the Warlock speaks of. However, this dissapates with maturity and confidence.

I would not go to an instructor who uses fear and intimidation to gain respect. People who do this generally do not have respect for themselves or others. It's like the leader who has to remind his people that he is the leader. Well, if you need to remind people, then are you really a leader? Instructors who treat people fairly, consistently, and with respect are the people who are respected by their students and community. No one likes a bully.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I certainly fear my sensai when sparring with him. But that is offcourse as White Warlock alluded to. It is my lack of confidence and fear of getting hurt in my early stages of training that creates this mindset.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

Fear. I know what you are talking about. There are some instructors that love to have their students fear them. I know one that I don't quite like to work with though he is a great at techniques. He likes to correct the hard way, punching quite hard when demonstrating the correct gyaku zuki (reverse punch) and the proper hip rotation. He tends to hit not very hard, but enough to feel the pain and become afraid he might correct you again :D And he's quite picky. He's got only top students, but they all have some fear of another show of proper form. Though I knew I could learn many things from him, I preferred working with my sensei, because he's more gentle and the only bruises I get are from kumite.