• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Instructors"

Sibylla

Sometimes in class there are people (esp. guys/lower grades) that act as "instructors"; they talk and talk and try to correct me and some of them even keep going at it when the instructor is talking. I really feel like concentrating on the (real) instructor and sort of go into myself to get the combinations right, and I get disturbed by the "instructions" from these guys.

How do I stop it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There's no 'easy' way. Just ask them to stop. They'll think your rude, and maybe give you a lecture on how low ranks should be grateful that they think you're worth their time. Tell them you pay your instructor to teach because they don't do it right -- that's why you aren't paying them.

There's a good article about this on https://www.24fightinchickens.com. it is in the MU section and I think it is called sempai

There is especially one guy (lower grade than me, yellow belt) that does this where I train, and when I told him to stop it (as polite as I could); he cussed at me, walked off and made a scene complaining to the instructor that I was difficult to train with.

Should I just try to not get paired up with him again? I'm having a problem to train with people that tell me to f**k off when I voice my opinion. And how can I justify it if the other instructors asks whay I won't train with the guy?

I've read Redmond's article and I think it is spot on.

His article came right to mind as well.

If it really is a problem, have a chat with the head instructor to get some feedback. See what he says and go from there. Chances are if this guy cussed you he probably has ticked off many people. Your talk may be the excuse your instructor needs to straighten him out.

Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I suppose the best advice really is to be polite and listen. If the "Instructor" is happy for them to talk over him/her then they are upholding the wishes of the sensei. You may find that the Sensei has advised the Sempai to give ongoing advice to other members of the dojo. I'd say live with it for now and then, should you feel it is being a distraction, ask the Sensei about this?

:)

The guy that cussed at me is not a sempai, he is a yellow belt.

A yellow belt? Oh tell them to shut up. While it is nice for a person to be supportive, if they are beginners themselves then they cannot offer much in advice. Maybe matters relating to dojo etiquette or basic rules as such, but not in learning karate.

Yup, ignore them :)

If the guy isn't a sempai or isn't dishing out advice with the blessing of the instructor, then i'd go and have a word with your Sensei about him. He sounds like he has a real problem. Maybe he just needs a chat from the Sensei to sort him out.

Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Agreed. Talk to your instructor about the guy. Personally I would have already mentioned the foul language. There is no place for that type of behavior in class (or anywhere for that matter).

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.