Jiu Jitsu in actual combat

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many skills in everyday life that require you to practice slow before you can do it fast, it's not unheard of. Also, in many cases it is good to start slow and work your way up. So basically, the whole if you can't do it fast it's useless argument is not a very good one.

sure it is. If you are starting off slow, and I started off fast - or if I started off sparring, and you started off doing forms...who has more applicable experience?

We don't do forms. We started sparring slow, doing throwing slow and now we are able to go faster and faster. We don't do Katas if that's what you mean. Applicable experience in the dojo or in a real situation? Which is more important?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

you aren't getting applicable experience in a real situation until you are in one. Anything else is in the dojo. TGhe kata thing was an example, not necessarily directed at your school. However, you dont even do the single technique katas, like judo does? I know there are various styles of jjj that do them.

Sure we go one on one in class and change bodies as we go through techniques. It's important to spar with people of all weights and sizes. We do something called sanshin that isn't a very involved kata per say, but I guess you could think of it that way. We are mostly busy applying techniques and drilling. We do a lot bag work and ukemi training. I think we are probably less traditional then most schools which is why I enjoy it so much. Do you have any kata that you do in your school? What are those like?

we have katas, but don't focus on them, per se. They aren't required until brown belt, and are basically just the text book way of doing the throws. There isn't a kata for every throw, however. I say "per se", because we work the form of our throws anyway, while we are drilling. I attend two judo clubs - one is more traditional - drilling the textbook form. The other is competition oriented and focuses on versions modified for such.

That's cool. Yeah I guess we do somewhat the same kind of thing. What kind of Judo is it? Kodokan?

BJJ is one of the FEW systems, that has something like a "quality control" in their belts, so a black belt in BJJ isn't "supposed" to be good, he HAS to be, he has to PROVE it, BJJ it's not like other arts where they sell/give/ belts because they have time training or know some katas..

Which is why I respect BJJ as a martial art. Very few traditional martial arts are performance based. I can name maybe six. Kyokushinkai, muay Thai, BJJ, judo, Shaio Chuai kung fu, and Bujiquan kung fu. There may be more but those are the only one's that I know of that can be verified as being combat effective. And I am using the term traditional in the sense that they all have traditional/formal practices.

Now having said that, I myself am a Japanese Jujutsuka and can roll pretty darn good with anyone. But only because I go full out on every chance I get so that my submission set-up's and combat reflex are up to par. Those are things that can only be achieved by grappling with resisting opponents.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

Umm... let's clear up something here.

Gracie ju-jutsu is a Brazilian ju-jutsu, but a Brazilian ju-jutsu isn't necessarily the reverse.

The claims that bjj maintains strict belt adherence is incorrect, on the mere fact there are posers out there, just like there are posers of other systems.

The term, Brazilian ju-jutsu, from everything i recall, is not copyrighteable. Thus, exploitation of ignorance ensues, and many people open up schools 'claiming' to teach bjj... and who's to call them a liar?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is the same that BJJ, only that Gracie Jiu Jitsu has a trademark that only can be used with Rorion authorization.

If somebody opens a school claiming he teaches BJJ, you could tell him to show you his CBJJ certificate or you can see him rolling and see ;)

Valencia - Venezuela.