• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jiu Jitsu in actual combat

I agree with treebranch... I have studied some ninpo taijutsu (aka ninjutsu). What you said about ninjutsu cant win a nhb competition or mma match... what about frank dux (he synthesized a ryu....dux ryu ninjutsu).I believe he could wreck any BJJ'er. ninpo/budo taijutsu is not made for your petty ground and pound competitions. It is much more... and the dojos train very hard and hardcore. There is a concept of HANKA.. it means to create. In ninpo taijutsu it is the way of covering all the bases and letting the practitioner experiment with the time honoured techniques. By the way.. also watch a Hatsumi video and see if a BJJ'er can handle doing some of the things he can do at the age of 83. Ninpo/Budo taijutsu differs from BJJ because the goals of each martial art are different... in ninpo/budo taijutsu there are no holds barred... they fight dirty and cheap. You havent seen nhb until you see the way that a practitioner of ninjutsu practices... they are cheap and dirty and will win on the ground because they practice all of the cheap shots. I have only tried the bo and the jo in ninpo taijutsu and they go way past my bo training in karate. I hope youy dont ever have to mess with a ninpo/budo taijutsu man on the street because he/she will mess your s!$# right up.

Take a deep breath. Feel your feet gripping the ground. Feel the blood move through your body. Feel your heart beat like a drum. It is amazing what calm and collectiveness can do for you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJJ was proven in actual combat. Please don't start the "this art can whoop that art" argument. You have no basis for any argument in this, there are too many variables.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

BJJ was proven in actual combat.

Umm... i've heard that spouted by more then a handful of people and i really want to address it.

Most martial arts have proven themselves in combat at one time or another. However, modern-day combat does not include much hand-to-hand, so any newer martial systems, such as bjj, really are only being included in the soldier's training program.. with minimal application in modern warfare.

The martial arts that truly have proven themselves in 'real' combat... are the ones that existed before firearms and explosives became the mainstay. However, things have changed over the centuries. What worked way back then, in the test tube of one society, doesn't necessarily work now, in the test tube of this society. A martial art system that stays rigid to its teachings can find itself 'behind the times,' per se.

Modern martial art systems have changed for the times. Unfortunately, a lot of them have also changed for the fact most combat is done in the ring, as opposed to the battlegrounds. Such things need to be considered when examining the effectiveness of a system. Arbitrarily dismissing traditional systems is just as foolish as arbitrarily dismissing modern systems.

Consider always the applicability to your potential threats. If i were in Africa and people were chasing me down with a machete, bjj would not be the system i would care to know. Seriously consider these things when stating that one system or another has been 'proven' in combat... because... the definition of combat changes according to the threat posed and the weapons implemented.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

BJJ was used on the street well before the advent of mixed martial arts systems. It has proven itself to be combat effective. The shortcomings you mention have been addressed by Gracies themselves. They know that multiple attackers completely negates BJJ.

And for the record, if I was in Africa and someone was chasing me down with a machete, the only system I'd care about is Track and Field.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

I've thrashed plenty of jj practitioners.quote]

One more thing about this: What were the rules of engagement? Was it standup only or something? Was it traditional jiu jitsu? I have a buddy who does tjj, he's easy to take down, and I completely dismantle him once we're on the ground, even though he trains some grappling in tjj.

Its funny how this thread has mutated from "would this technique work" to "my style is better than yours..."

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

The question is whether Jiu-Jitsu is effective for Combat. In my opinion, no. I'm saying this not to put down the system of BJJ, but even in NHB you have to cross train because of the lack of stand up skills as well as throws.

By the way I don't think Frank Dux is recognized by the Bujinkan and I'm pretty sure he never studied Ninjutsu. He one of those guys who jumped on the 80's Ninja bandwagon.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

So you don't agree that you need to cross BJJ with something else to make it better suited for NHB and Combat? What do you base that on? How is BJJ on it's on suited for Combat?

Let's explore what kind of skills are needed in Combat and compare to the principles and tactics of BJJ. I think once you do this you will realize it is not designed for real Combat in the sense of battle against many vs. many. There are MA's whether you want to believe it or not that are designed for this specific purpose.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

It makes me laugh how some people say that their style prepares them to "many attackers", when they can deal in a NHB figh for example with just one man.

BJJ has been proved during years in the ring and in the street, that's something that a very few MA can also say...

Valencia - Venezuela.