• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jiu Jitsu in actual combat

How would you know there's no complete art if you've never studied one. You have a preference for MMA because believe that is what's good. I choose this Art because I believe it's good. I've taken other MA's and I've found this one to be the most interesting and effective I've experienced. Experience being the key word here. If you haven't experienced Budo Taijutsu you just won't understand. You won't understand what's going on just by looking at it. You have to study it before you can make your evaluation of whether it's complete or not. Whether you like to believe it or not there are complete fighting systems out there and if you employ solid training methods the lines blur between most styles. The difference for me is the relationships between weapons studies and unarmed combat. If you haven't studied weapons like the sword and bo staff etc., then I'm speaking a foreign language right now, and no matter what I say to you it's going to sound alien. That's why I say you have to experience it yourself. Certain styles have certain criteria and objectives to reach that's what makes them different.

The only reason 1995 keeps making it's way back into the thread is that people bring it up as justification for belittling arts that they have no knowledge of. I'm just as tired of hearing that arguement as you are.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't belittle anything. As far as those who do, ignore them.

I don't have to have trained budo taijutsu - every art in existence makes the same claims of being complete. you're not speaking foreign, because it's MA - there's not one single fighting principle you can name that I haven't heard of , as fighting is fighting, and as a whole, I've head alot of exposure to it. What will be different is the way those principles are trained and applied. And those two things are the big differences that I'm always talking about.

I believe several styles are good - I've trained kali, jun fan, karate, longfist and tang soo do in addition to what I train now, so I've had experience in traidional styles, and have trained sticks, knives, broadsword, staff, etc. I like judo, bjj and muay thai because it's VERY intense and offers a way for me to continually test myself against others inside and outside of my school. I've always loved full contact fighting, which is why I loved the karate I was training in.

I wasn't trying to infer that you were belittling. I was just referring to people who bring up that old tired argument from 1995. I think it's great that you enjoy the MA's that you do and that you get to test your skills in class. I think that's great for that competitive spirit you seem to have. I'm just saying that there are MA's that are out there that are more complete than others, that all. I think you will agree that it all really depends on the training methods and what your end goal is what determines the effectiveness of your skills. Different arts focus on differents things and some arts focus on many things. :)

Edited by Treebranch

I haven't read all the posts on the subject, but here it goes:

I personally respect people who practice juijutsu. The ones I've seen have not only good wrestling ability, but plenty of bases covered with striking. I think that as long as the juijutsu practitioner is aware, and knows which modes of fighting to apply and when, he will definately be spared defeat.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I've thrashed plenty of jj practitioners. I can't say the same. A style may exist and be a good study, but the practitioner does not make up the style. Some people study harder and are more in-tune with the system they study, but it should not be stated that an entire system is based on the performance of a few practitioners. This, unfortunately, is the status quo... but it is wholly inappropriate.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Yes.

I've thrashed plenty of jj practitioners. I can't say the same. A style may exist and be a good study, but the practitioner does not make up the style. Some people study harder and are more in-tune with the system they study, but it should not be stated that an entire system is based on the performance of a few practitioners. This, unfortunately, is the status quo... but it is wholly inappropriate.

The status quo is that jiu jitsu turns out superior fighters on average. The facts are everywhere, but you guys just refuse to acknowledge them.

The status quo is that jiu jitsu turns out superior fighters on average. The facts are everywhere, but you guys just refuse to acknowledge them.

Maybe White Warlock isn't your average joe.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

BJJ is one of the FEW systems, that has something like a "quality control" in their belts, so a black belt in BJJ isn't "supposed" to be good, he HAS to be, he has to PROVE it, BJJ it's not like other arts where they sell/give/ belts because they have time training or know some katas..

Valencia - Venezuela.

Now that I can agree with. And that's comming from a Karate freak here.