• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

most difficult approach to an attack

hi guys,

i was training (wing chun) with my partner and then i just startet to enter him like i mad man and i was just hitting and hitting without looking, just to test how he would defend himself. him and me noticed that that is really hard to defend if someone just comes running up to you with uncontrolled punches, kicks etc... . what do u guys think about this?

Be everything. Be nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy- if they just come running up to you, step to the side and nail him.

Fast, uncontroled strikes can seem difficult to deal with if they catch you unawares. But they have no power, targeting or focus, so they aren't as bad as they seem. In light or no contact, you may think the furiouse fighter is scoring a lot of points. This will usually prove false as contact increases. Not saying he isn't dangerouse, just that they are more easily handled than they seem at first.

Get inside, open him up and teach him what fast but controlled is. Or, as I said before, get outside and go to work. Elbow strikes are good to use with this type of attack as they can clear and double as blocks and strikes. With an uncoordinated attack, it is generally easy to take his space, his ballance, and his will, turning the tables on him so fast he's had before he knows he's in trouble.

Freedom isn't free!

Like Delta1 said, fighting like a maniac doesn't give you a lot of power, plus it will get you off of balance easily. The one thing that does make it hard to defend against though, is that it's scary. It's a very tempting offer to run screaming or go into fetal position when someone's charging at you with their fists swinging all over the place as if they're on PCP. That's how I always won fights when I was a little kid, because the person I was attacking would either run away or just curl up into a little ball and wait for me to get it over with.

But once you get used to fighting, and aren't afraid of taking hits, then all you have to do is come in with some controlled contact, try to get him off balance and he'll pretty much be yours. Or, just side step and laugh as he trips over himself. :)

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Fight their fight, you lose. The "what if" mentality is what gets many people to think 'defense.' It's not a good way to think. You have to accept the fact that you might get hit a few times, and just get down to business. I noted you have wing chun and aikido listed as your styles. The appropriate action would have been for your friend to change gears, and take care of business.

On a note. When you're practicing with someone, they are in the 'share and share alike' mentality. They're not in the sparring mentality. So if you were practicing wing chun, and then decided to escalate on him, he very likely just didn't make the transition out of 'maintaining respect' and ensuring your safety. This happens a lot and it is unfortunate. Not unfortunate that he didn't switch, but unfortunate that you capitalized on the trust.

My recommendation... don't do that. If you are training, then train. If you wish to spar, make sure your partner knows this in advance and you have both stipulated what the rules are going to be. Your action pretty much switched training to sparring, without defining the rules, and therein posed a dilemna in your friend's mind of, "what am i allowed to do" rather than "what should i do." Be aware of the difference here... for it is huge.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I agree with White Warlock totally on this. You abused your friends trust in a "training situation. You need to have established guidelines during training and stick to them.

With that said. If I were with a training partner and they decided to go ballistic while we were training I would slip to the inside and blast you back, hopefully, into the training mode.

It's not nice to abuse your partners trust. Don't mistake his kindness for weakness.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

no pheraps i said it a bit wrongly. my partner and me talk about any kind of attack. and then we talked about how to defend an attack from a person who is just throwing punches. we both agreed at the end that entering with controlled punches but with the same determination as the attacker would be the best thing to do. i didnt abuse anyones kidness :D

There are quiet a few ways to deal with attacks like this but while your in the process of fighting back make sure you keep your guard up and dont try and reach out and block every attack.

yeah i surely agree with your last point. i left his center and did chain punching from the side, when he tried it on me.

Drop into his center with your elbow in good Kamae. He will run right into your weapons and then he is yours.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"