• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which MA for fighting in groups?

I was wondering if there could be a fighting sport where groups of people all fight at the same time. For example, take 5 to 10 on each side in a field and they have to have a majority win. I haven't thought out the logistics of this type of competition, but it's interesting I think.

So which MA's would best be suited for this type of group fighting competitions? :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A competition of the nature would be very interesting Treebranch.

I suppose it depends on the ways you can win under the rules. But most probably a mixture of stand-up and ground-fighting would do well. I dont think any specific style would be well suited.

Actually, i think san soo would be well suited to this, but i'm biased. I can't recall any system other than san soo that drilled in reacting to multiple-adversaries. On the other hand, i can't recall any system that drilled in co-op reactions to multiple adversaries.

Seems the smartest tactics in this would be for the majority of the group to act as a wedge, segregating one of the opposition, and have a two-man smackdown team to take him out... then continue the process. Taking out the weakest link first will allow for the wedge to work like a charm.

Sun Tzu's Art of War is running around in my head at the moment... hehe.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

sounds kind of like war in ancient times on a battle field. if it wound up anything like that (though probably weaponless...) itd end up being kind of random. for instance, watching gladiator in the beginning sequence i realized that no matter how good a soldier may have been, some other guy running by could kill you and youd never see it coming cause you were fighting someone else. anyway, yea... i think they should start something like that.

a broken arm throws no punches

I truly doubt something like that will be made. Extremely hard to referee, huge possibility of serious injury, and it will be tough finding 'skilled' fighters willing to rely on others (the vast majority are lone wolves).

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

How about a steel caged lumberjack loser leave town...... :lol:

It sounds a little far fetched for serious fighters but this scenario may be the kind of thinking that has started the paint ball craze. Every weekend guys line up to pay and play in team format in fields across the world for the thrill of competition.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I was wondering if there could be a fighting sport where groups of people all fight at the same time.

Join a gang! :D

I can't recall any system other than san soo that drilled in reacting to multiple-adversaries. On the other hand, i can't recall any system that drilled in co-op reactions to multiple adversaries.

Most styles and schools I've seen drills multiple opponents. In AK, that is what you are working toward is a phase of motion that effectively deals with multiple opponents and weapons.

Useing a coordinated strategy when you are working with allies against one or more opponents is another matter. I suppose, when you are on the "multiple team" drilling someone in defending, you learn something. But I've not really seen it done much as the primary reason for the multiples drill. Police, military, or other organizations that work as a unit do this. But, unless you run with the same group all the time, I don't know how much good it would do you. Odds are, when you need to use it, you'll be the only one trained in the group.

Freedom isn't free!

I just think it would be interesting and the closest thing to actually combat. You can't spend too much time with one person and you always have to be aware of what's going on around you. Multiple attacker training would have to be practiced all the time and devastating throws and strikes would be essential. Efficiency of movement and endurance is a huge factor in this type of fight. Most of all tactics and team work would be extremely important. There are styles of MA's that I feel would be better suited for this type of scenario than others, but I'm not concerned with that. I want to hear what kind of skills and tactics you guys would use in a situation like this.

Let's say 10 guys on each side of the field. When one side eliminates 7 fighters from the other team the match is over. Fighters can be eliminated by knock out or submission. Submission will be the harder of the two in my opinion, but you can double team or triple team someone if you like. The team consists of light, middle, and heavy weight team members. Middle having four fighters at that weight on each side.

What do you think so far? :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

... and for real sport, turn a few lions loose in the mix,... maybe kill a few Christians as a warm up act...

Freedom isn't free!