• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best way to begin a judo fight!

I'm going to attend my first judo competition this summer and I was wondering what your favorite opening technique is.

The competition is for newbies like me, that's 6th and 5th kyu, and it might help me if I knew what you can expect from your opponent in a fight like that.

What is the most common opening technique and what's your favorite counter-techique to that technique?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't have a favorite opening technique. Why? because all competitiors are different and start their matches differently. you don't fight the way the next guy I fight will, so my opening strategy is useless.

Do this - find Three throws that you like. Practice them repeatedly - master them. out of the 60 + judo throws, most competitive judoka only have three truly mastered. But, they can pull those three of at will.

Pick eight throws - one for each direction. Practice them all the time. out of those 8, have the three bread and butter throws I mentioned above. The other 5, you can switch out from time to time - like year to year, that way you can get alot of work in with the other throws. Everything you do should be geared towards setting up one of the three main throws. The other five throws you will use 1.) if the opportunity presents itself or 2.) to set up the main three.

• 1 month later...

Hehe, well I can give you my favorite strategy for Jiu Jitsu tournies. I come out slaping my jacket, pulling up my sleeves, and standing very upright looking like a Judo player. A lot of times my opponents see this and play a careful standup game- then as soon as I get my grips, I pull guard =). Wont work in Judo cause they penalize you for that though....

Hehe, well I can give you my favorite strategy for Jiu Jitsu tournies. I come out slaping my jacket, pulling up my sleeves, and standing very upright looking like a Judo player. A lot of times my opponents see this and play a careful standup game- then as soon as I get my grips, I pull guard =). Wont work in Judo cause they penalize you for that though....

I'm afraid Judo is somewhat different from BJJ. In Judo you are more worried about throws and stand-up grappling. In BJJ you're more worried about groundwork and submission.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

That's the point... A judo guy enters a bjj tourney and you have to be careful, or else you'll get thrown. When many bjj guys are against a judoka, they will jump guard so they can get him to a position they get take advantage of without having to get thrown first.

he's acting like a judoka, so they are on guard, thinking he will throw them. Then, he jumps guard.

s