• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi guys.

i just started tkd a week ago. i find it really fun and can help me with self defense on the streets.

i was wondering what are some ways to get better. and if TKD is really good on streets. i read it really depends if your instructors only teach olympic sparring. so how can i tell if they are teaching me self defense that i can use on the streets??

i also need help on breaking, but today i saw a kid half my size break a board, so im not too worried about that yet :D . but i wouldnt know.

and also when i kick with my foot, it usually hurts like hell. my friend said you just gotta flatten it out. are there any techniques on flattening and killing the nerves in my foot so i can kick anything?

thanks. advice is really appreciated. :karate:

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There have been many debates here about the effectiveness of TKD on the streets. In order not to keep repeating the same topic I will ask that you just perform a search on the subject.

As far as proper technique for breaking boards? Ask people who've been there for a while for some tips. You'll get better with practice.

And forget the idea of deadening nerves in your foot. Nerves are there for a reason and not worth killing off just to break a stupid board.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

And forget the idea of deadening nerves in your foot. Nerves are there for a reason and not worth killing off just to break a stupid board.

Absolutely! Pain is your body's way of letting you know it isn't right.

You might have your instructor check your technique to see why it is so painful to kick. A little stinging is normal, but any more than that means something is wrong - either with your technique or in your foot.

What kind of kick is it, or is it all of them? Where is the pain, at the spot of contact or somewhere else?

Listen to your body!

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

side kicks and spin kicks that i know i use my heel, front kick is the ball of the bottom of ur foot, round house kicks and others are usually at the top of my foot.

i figured it takes time to get the pain away, because my blackbelt friends foot is very flat compared to mines, and he can kick practically anything and not experience that much pain.

u ever heard of those guys that roll down their shins very hard with base ball bats, then kick trees? thats crazy.

I am not sure why you would be worried about breaking boards after a week of lessons anyway. Concentrate on your basics!!! If you are doing basics wrong you are doing everything else wrong. Don't get ahead of your White Belt. Be the best White Belt possible...worry about breaking when it comes.

Good luck!!

The thing with breaking is (I do a lot of breaking for demos), it has nothing to do with "killing the nerves." If you have proper technique, it will take care of the problem. You have to be aware that it will "sting" a little to break, but it shouldn't hurt. If it hurts, something is wrong.

I would advise that you work on your basics since you are a white belt. Work on technique (sorry, I'm a "stickler" for technique). Once you "grasp" the techniques, you shouldn't have a problem.

Once you have that, you should concentrate on going "through" the board, not stopping when you hit it. Don't "pull back." Who ever is holding the board, concentrate on hitting them, not the board (without actually doing it ... hitting them, that is).

Laurie F

thanks guys for ur advice.

im quite far from the break test so im not too worried about that.

but what i really am having trouble on is my flexibility. all the other kids in my class can do splits and touch their toes and such, i can hardly do this, what should i do to help me get through this problem? and doing the splits is so painful.

also what are some good exercises to improve my speed and strength with my legs and body.