• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad Backs and Jujitsu

Yeah I agree Karate is softer for the back. I think I will leave JJJ training for further down the track when I possess greater fitness, and a stronger torso. I have downloaded a number of back strengthening excersises that will hopefully work wonders.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a bad back is no reason to skip a MA. my dad has a horribly bad back and studied usaf tae kwon do in the 70's till around the middle of the belt ranking, and took jujustu/muay thai classes in the 90's.

• 3 weeks later...

Sibylla...you shouldnt have to use your back to lift your opponent when throwing... you are not doing your technique right...the throws of judo and jujutsu are low energy and maximum effieiency. I thought i would just clarify that.

Take a deep breath. Feel your feet gripping the ground. Feel the blood move through your body. Feel your heart beat like a drum. It is amazing what calm and collectiveness can do for you.

judoka86 is right...most judo throws are done with leg power, not back power. Falling could cause a strain, simply from the shock (slap as hard as you want, your body still comes to a sudden stop which shocks your body). :)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

@Judoka: As an beginner it is very easy to lift with your back, but I've even seen blackbelts strain their back. Personally I've also landed on my head when breakfalling, and gotten my neck cranked in grappling so it stuck in one position. If a guy just has a muscular problem, I'd say go ahead with judo/jj, but with a serious problem I'd be more sceptical.