• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad Backs and Jujitsu

Hi they’re everyone,

I observed a Japanese Jujitsu class tonight and boy what a full on MA. I would really like to take up this art, but I have a bad back and it seems obvious that practitioners of Jujitsu need to be very fit and have a strong/ flexible torso and back. Are there any practitioners out there with bad backs that can give me an indication of whether or not Jujitsu is the go for people with back problems/injuries.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most people have back problems, but the main reason they do... is because the back isn't strengthened. Most of the problems associated with the back have to do with poorly conditioned muscles. Attention is put to build the legs, chest, abs, shoulders and arms, but rarely do people give attention to building up the back muscles... and for good reason... it's scary. However, they can and should be developed as doing so will alleviate most, if not all, of your back issues.

If you're full confident this sounds like your problem, work with your instructor and a fitness instructor (would be nice if they were one and the same, but this is not always the case and it is important to recognize this). Have them put you on a training program that allows you to learn the system, while also providing a gradual conditioning of your back.

On the other hand, if you have a problem that extends beyond the muscles (such as severe scoliosis, fused vertebrae, etc), i definitely recommend you speak to your doctor first, and then the instructor of the class. Doing so will allow both your doctor and the instructor the opportunity to work together for your betterment (modifying the training program to accommodate your handicaps).

Good luck, and welcome. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Definitely talk to the instructor. In time, you may be able to condition yourself. Although, this is without knowing what's wrong with your back or your age. Good luck!

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Unfortunatley I am only 29. I have a disc lesion of between the 4th/5th Lumbar Vertebrae. Nasty lifting accident. I think a visit to a sports physician might be in order. However I seem to have no problems with Karate training currently.

Talk to him. I m only 26, and my spine is twiseted - my right side is further forward than my left. You can't look at me and tell, but is causes pain during training, running, and killed me when I was playing football. I still train 4-5 days a week in brazilian jiu jutsu and 2 days a week in judo and muay thai. Also, I had an awesome chiro, and worked wonders on my back.

Yeah two years of physio has progressed me to the stage where I can actually jog and do MA's.

I have to go along with Warlock on this one. First off, you need to condition yourself. Believe it or not, weak abs are the main cause of lower back pain. If the abs are weak, the back muscles have to work too hard to stabalize the spine, thus, back pain. Unless your pain is from auto injury or other trauma, it's not that hard to alleviate most of the pain. Enough to train, that is. I had some lower back problems years ago, but since I have been following strict workouts for the abs and back muscles, my problems have pretty much disappeared. I train in jiu-jitsu now, am average as far as flexibility (I can't do the splits), and I have been doing fine. Go see a doctor first, have him x-ray your back. If you have herniated discs, you might want to put the training on hold. But if all seems OK, it's just your muscles that are strained, and you need to condition them.

Mixed Martial Artist

I'm doing karate, used to do jutsu, and I think karate is much easier on the back and the body in general than jujutsu. But jujutsu might work for you if you take the right precautions, especially when throwing, I've seen a few people strain their backs on that. Strict grappling felt better for me and my back, even though it is quite hard and demanding. To have a good chiro is a must...mine adjust me from time to time and it works wonders.