• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

analysis of a Judo throw

In a recent tournament my opponent attacked with double leg and I countered with a rice bag throw and clearly threw him to his back. Of course I went to my back as well.

All judges disagreed as to who the winner was. The senior official explained that I was the loser according to Samurai tradition.

His analysis was as follows:

My opponent attacked and was about to defeat me. In my last dying effort I went to my back and countered the throw. I was congratulated for spirit according to Samurai tradition, but lost the match.

A split second pause, where I clearly stopped his throw before going for the sacrifice would have won me the match.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
That's...odd. Hmm...sacrifices are valid throws. Of course, I've never competed in a judo tournament, so I can't really comment, but it seems to me if your opponent went down, and you were the cause, that should be at least a half point (or quarter point, however they do that). Full point if it was with control. Ah well...my ignorance amuses me. (name that movie for two bonus points and a cookie)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

well at the midwest tourni i saw this really good judoka lose cause he lost grip on a sacrifice and pulled then regained grip and pulled the guy with him...

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

A split second pause, where I clearly stopped his throw before going for the sacrifice would have won me the match.

That's exactly right. By stopping him, you show that you have control of the technique. Since that was not done, the throw goes to the agressor, as technically, his throw did work.

Analysis of a judo throw

kazushi - off balance

tsukuri - fit in

kake - execution

All three are components of any throw in Judo. You had no control and no kazushi.... you just went with his throw and countered.