• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need help on defending myself

Jlee,

Are you sure about the wrestling thing? At my old high school, Cross-country was in the fall, wrestling in the winter and track in the spring. What events do you run? Weightlifting and upper body strength really improves the 800m times.

Half the kids on our CC squad were wrestlers, and used the season to get in shape for Wrestling. I would try to get into wrestling just to have access to the weights, and to learn some fundamentals that you'd get in wrestling a lot faster than in martial arts. Plus, you'll make some friends who will stick by you. Strong friends :)

Being friends with guys on the track team just means that when you get in trouble, they will run away. Fast. :D

Something to also consider. Right now you're in high school... and it seems you haven't had to deal with someone attempting to outright kill you. But, if you continue to hold onto that 'thin skin' ...

This is EXCELLENT advice. I know that you don't want to hear that right now, but it's the truth man. Eventually someone is going to make you mad just as an excuse to give you a major beatdown.

Good luck man. Learn to box, wrestle, do pushups situps and pullups and keep running.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to box, wrestle, do pushups situps and pullups and keep running.

and learn how to avoid conflicts. You may wan't to go on record and talk to a guidance counselor or your principal if you are getting "racially harrassed", that way if anything legally comes of it then you can point to the fact that you have alerted administration to the problem and have been working towards a solution. I'm sure your school district has policy relating to this.

I always encourage high schoolers to take wrestling as a complement to their MA training. If you can't take wrestling when are you going to take MA? Whatever you do don't stop running. It can literally save your life.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Are you sure about the wrestling thing? At my old high school, Cross-country was in the fall, wrestling in the winter and track in the spring. What events do you run? Weightlifting and upper body strength really improves the 800m times.

Same thing i experienced in high school. I would assume this is a national structure.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

umm, i live in georgia,(gwinnett county) and our cc season is around fall/winter time and our track is winter/spring, so its the same as yours.. i think ill be able to do wrestling but then that'll cost a lot of money paying for cc/wrestling and track. plus for cc we go on disney trips every year and thats about $220 and u have to bring ur own money..about another $150. im not a rich kid so i doubt ill be able to join wrestling..ill take judo and learn boxing from my dad..lol he's good enough to learn from, i think.

I hear what you're saying. At my high school, we had to do "pay to play" which meant paying an activity fee for every sport. Then you've got to buy gear and all that stuff, too.

Is it really cheaper to study Judo than Wrestling? Don't get me wrong, I like both, and you should do the one that is most affordable, I think.

Wrestling is the one sport I regret not doing in HS...

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Jlee, i can sympathize. I too am in highschool and have to deal with ingnorant morons trying to pick fights every day

Im on the opposite end of the spectrum to you though. Im a gentle giant. I vaery rarely feel the need to fight, but when i do, i generally have very little trouble winning.

It's not that im a good fighter, it's just that everyone else is really bad.

I think your actions were completely justified. one thing though, never shove someone. it lacks comitment and does basically nothing. if you're going to start a fight, start it strong with a punch or knee.

suggestion number two: Don't ever get in a fight unnless you can avoid it. ESPECIALLY in high school.

as you know, bullies have big strong stupid friends who carry knives and bats and guns like to roll up behind you and beat the tar out of you.

this has happened to friends of mine more than once. winning a fight is great, but payback is a...... well, you know.

just be carefull man.

oh yeah, take Hapikido. it's good. and don't get yourself killed

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

I can only imagine what you are going through. But just be calm and try to let the guys say what they want. If it gets more phisical (they try something on you or your girlfriend) consider taking an attitude. Don't forget to talk about your problems to people who can really help you in a "legal" way. Keep us posted :karate:

yea, thanks for the suggestions and comments, ill defenatly try to avoid fighting with people. anyways i got a track meet tomorrow, so i better go get ready and get some sleep, and thanx again for your suggestions. :D

TJS said:

Boxing will make you tough. You will learn how to take a good hit and return an even better one. Boxing is good on it's own but would be even better if you suplemented it with wresling/judo/ BJJ.

I would strongly suggest you join the wresling team since it's free and will be great conditioning and held you control the position of a fight. meaning you can take people down if you want and avoid the takedown also.

Mostly good advice except the part about learning to take a hit. I agree you should be able to take a hit and not let it shake you or mentally mess with you. The problem is when facing someone that's heavier and knows how to hit. Sometimes running faster than someone is a good alternative.

I think teaching someone like this to really fight can be a bad thing. Hopefully a good teacher will straighten him out and give him what he needs the most. DISCIPLINE. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all of your suggestion again, i just want to say even tho this is off topic that i got 4th place in the 800m race today at my track meet, woohoo..ok anyways..i found out that my schedule is a little tight with studying and everything that i only have time for 1 sport/martial art. i dunno, im thinking of boxing..but then there is a choi kwan(sp?) do place near my house and i also want to take hapkido..decisions decisions..i want to have fun while in getting in shape also..im not wanting to be a straigh out fighter