• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Katas do you learn after the Heians

SaiFightsMS

What does the Seito Matsumura lineage practice?

The Pinans and Naihanchi II and III are recent additions to Seibukan, apparently Shimabukuro Sensei added them to the curriculum in the late 1970s, in order to simplify the learning process for the kyu ranks. Passai Gua and Jion are apparently in our yudansha curriculum because Shimabukuro Sensei's friend, Iha taught them to him, and he decided he liked them enough to add them. I really love the Okinawan Jion. It makes Shotokan Jion look wimpy! :D

The "traditional" Seibukan kata list looks somehting like this:

Seisan (our "base kata")

Ananku

Wansu

Passai

Chinto

Kusanku

Wanchin

Gojushiho

The dojo at which I practice also does Matayoshi-ryu Kobudo. In addition, in my personal practice I do Rohai (Shito version), Njushiho, and Sochin (Shoto version).

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dojo is the only one i know (shito ryu) that its first kata is a kata called Junino kata... weird - After that we got the Heians then i dont know why it depends on your body size what katas you learn next. Required karas for black belt are Bassai Dai and Seienchin.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Hayashi-ha Shito Ryu teaches five "kihon" kata,and the two fukyugata (renamed Chi-no kata, and Tenno kata) prior to beginning the Pinan sequence.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

My organisation is Shotokan and students learn:

Kihon

Heian Shodan

Heian Nidan

Heian Sandan

Heian Yondan

Heian Godan

Tekki Shodan

These take you up to brown belt level. During the 3 grades of brown belt, you must learn Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai, Empi and Jion. You can be taught any other kata during 1st, 2nd or 3rd kyu at your instructors discretion, but you will only be expected to know the ones mentioned. After Shodan kata learning is fee choice and up to instructors in which order they teach other kata, although students taking Nidan MUST know all 3 Tekki kata, Bassai Sho and Jitte as well.

My instructor has studied and graded under quite a few different karate styles (although he only really teaches Shotokan), so he knows other kata as well as the Shotokan 26. Occasionally he will teach a kata from another style (or another styles variation of a kata we already know) - he says it's good for our karate education!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 months later...

Here's my list:

1. Fukyugata Ich

2. Fukyugata Ni

3. Pinan Nidan

4. Geki-sai dai Ni

5. Fukyugata San

6. Pinan Shodan

7. Naihanchi Shodan

8. Pinan Sandan

9. Pinan Yondan

10. Pinan Godan

11. Ananku

12. Naihanchi Nidan

13. Wankan

14. Wanshu

15. Naihanchi Sandan

16. Rohai

17. Passai

18. Chinto

19. Gojushiho

20. Kusanku

21. - 26. Hakkutsuru 1-5

Sai

We do tekki shodan after Heain Goadan. Then most of the time we do go on to Bassai Dai and the rest of the big 4. (Jion, Kanku Dai, and Empi)

However I have always wondered why things are not taught in groups either. It would make sense to do Tekkie 1 2 and 3 before moving on.

Then Bassai Dai and Sho

Then Kanku Dai and Sho

Then Jion, Jittie and Ginn

After that you sort of lose the ideas of family but some kata still group pretty well I think like Gankanku, Empi and chintie with one leg moves. Hangetsu, Wankan and Meyiko, and Sochin with differant stances. Nijushishio and Both Gojushio kata for there speed. Unsa is by itself.

But we do the basic kata list you can see it at https://www.angelfire.com/wv2/wvka. However we may teach one kata before the other dependong on the person but thats our given outline.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

What does the Seito Matsumura lineage practice?

Official:

Pinan 1-5

Nihanshi 1-3

Passai Sho, Passai Dai

Seisan

Gojushiho

Chinto

Rohai Sho, Rohai Dai, Rohai Shu

Kakuho

Hopporen

Tensho

Unofficial:

Kusanku

Ryushoken

Sanchin

Ananku

Wansu

Nisedi 1-5

Wankan

After the 5 heians i learnt Bassai Dai, Tekki Shodan, Kanku Dai...and i'm going to start Jion soon. :karate:

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai