SaiFightsMS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a shodan and currently this is the kata list that i currently run including the kiyon kata

Taikyokyu 1-6

Tenno (fukigata ichi)

Chino (fukigata ni , geki sia dia ichi)

Pinan shodan Pinan nidan

Pinan sandan Pinan yondan

Pinan godan Nihanchi sho (tekki)

Nihanchi ni Nihanchi san

Matsukaze (wankan) Rohai

Seiuchin Jutte

Jion Jiin

Kosokun dai Bassai dai

Shisochin Chinto

Ananku Sanchin

Miyagi Sanchin Higiaonna Sanchin (goju kata learned from Higiaonna Morio Sensei )

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

• 1 month later...

After Heian..

Tekki Shodan

Hangetsu

Bassai Dai

After Shodan its classified as free Kata and any kata may be chosen for grades above Nidan.

It takes 3 years from Shodan to Nidan and you learn most of the Kata in this time.

Our School also has 15 Kata's called Kihon Kata which is not seen in other schools. The purpose of these Kata are to teach one to get into and out of an attack quickly. Apart from these we run with all the Shotokan Kata with only minor differences to Shotokan, mainly deeper stances and other minor changes.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 2 years later...

after the pinans (heinans) in wado ryu we learn kushanku, nihanchi, seisan, chinto, bassai, niseishi, wanshu, rohai, jion, jitte. what do some of you guys think is better, knowing how to perform a lot of katas or truly understanding a few, because i have noticed a lot of styles have a lot of katas, how can u truly understand them all it would take about 10 or 20 lifetimes unlesss ur superman, or after learning the katas do u have a choice on really studying a few in depth and developing practical bunkai from the principles within them

With KUGB it is Kihon Kata (taikyoko shodan) followed by the five Heians and then Tekki-Shodan. Then Bassai Dai. Jion tends to follow on once you get to 1st Kyu and then progress is slow, in terms of learning new katas. If you are going to nominate another brown belt kata in the Shodan grading, you can add Kanku Dai, Enpi and Hangetsu to your training.

With the ESA, things are different. While you learn the Heian katas, you also learn the Ora and Go of these along the way. You also learn Taikyoko shodan, nidan and sandan. Likewise, you get to brown belt and learn Tekki Shodan, Nidan and Sandan! The primary brown belt katas are Jion and Kanku Dai. Bassai Dai has been moved up the Dan ranks along with Enpi, Jion and Hangetsu as application of these is a lot more technical than with the KUGB.

All good stuff.

:)

JKF Wado Kai:

Pinan II, I, III, IV, V, Kusanku, Sesan, Chinto, Naihanchi. The following are "free kata" to be leaned in no particular order: Bassai, Jion, Jitte, Niseishi, Gojushiho, Unsu, Suparinpei.

JKA Shotokan:

Heian I-V, Tekki I-III, Bassai Dai, Empi, Kanku Dai, Jion, Jitte. Kata after this are "free kata."

Seibukan Shorn Ryu:

The following kata comprise the kyu curriculum: Pinan II, Ananku, Sesan, Pinan I, III, Passai, Pinan IV, V, Wansu, Naihanchi I-III, Gojushiho, Tokumine No Kon. From Shodan: (in no particular order) Chinto, Wanchin, Kusanku, Passai Gua, Jion, assorted Kobudo kata.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!