• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conditioning the wrong way?

40 cent

each to ther own if you all enjoy it and it doesnt get out of hand then go for it (not for me though i prefer a more technical approach)

theres no one style just your style---------

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

each to ther own if you all enjoy it and it doesnt get out of hand then go for it (not for me though i prefer a more technical approach)

I prefer tossing myself into a blender. :P

Seriously though, i prefer a good mix. Direct exposure, comparative hands-on study, watching (whether it be live or video), practice, a degree of 'healthy' competition, a lot of reading and a lot of thinking. What i need to work into there a bit more is conditioning. I'm pretty dang sure that's my achille's heel at the moment. As age creeps up on me, my conditioning (or lack thereof) is becoming a far heavier factor.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

There has to be a balance IMO.

I enjoy the blasting conditioning..I am a big guy (frame wise..*ahem* 'big boned')

BUT I also have instructors who are mildly crippled from years of slamming hands onto bricks.

Their arms get sore when it rains and they walk with a limp...(several guys have similar ailments)

Moderation I think is the key to any of it and it can go over board either way. One guy who does nothing in the way of body condition who will likely crumble when hit, to the former 'old school' instructors I have trained with who are on their way to using a cane because they can't walk right anymore.

Also is the very real point that as we get older we are not as fast and it takes longer for us to heal when injured. For this the study of timing becomes paramount.

As age creeps up on me, my conditioning (or lack thereof) is becoming a far heavier factor.

Is this a subtle pun? Good one.

I'm not into getting hit just to condition by body to take a punch. I would not recommend starting a fight club either. (Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.) You are much better off by training and sparring in a controlled (and insured) environment. I think you need to talk to your instructor about your request. If he is unwilling or unable to accomodate you, then move to a place that fits your needs.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I realise that is a subjective reply, but my dojo isnt a mcdojo. I say without hesitation, even with my relatively low amount of experience, i train very hard. we train like buggery for an hour and a half, and it is very disciplined (push ups for anyone that moves), and it appears to be led by good, passionate leaders (a 3rd dan, 2nd dan, and 4 shodans, 3 of which did the 40 man kumite) but that isnt the point.

the point is we do very little sparring, and when we do, it is of the soft/to no contact variety. as long as fitness, i want conditioning, and to become hard physically, as well as get the mental benefits.

i asked the fight club question more as to whether the method of conditioning was suitable, not if my dojo was. i realise you guys were trying to help me out and im not having a dig, but yeah. :)

k a couple more q's: how much conditioning is too much? i realise it is something you have to build to, but i kinda think that if you dont hurt and it doesnt bruise it hasnt done anything. is that ignorant? do you actually want to bruise? its probably something you have to 'feel' and get a sense for, but how do you moderate conditioning so it doesnt do more harm than good?

The old saying "no pain, no gain" is not always true. Basically if you get hit now and then you will become more used to it and although i doubt it will make you any "stronger" it will make you more tolerant to being hit.

is it worth taking deliberate, targeted power blows to the arms? can they be conditioned?

When you defend against techniques you are bound to get hit in the arms but i personally wouldnt bother trying to condition them in any way other than the natural hits that are taken during sparring.

also, do you guys take head shots in full contact sparring?

Full contact doesnt always mean full power. If you dont block you will get hit.

Some people briuse easy and some don't. I've taken some shots and have had some serious pain but no bruising. Bruising is not the best barometer. I stick to the basic sparring and blocking drills with physical conditioning through exercise and calistenics.

As far as full contact head shots, I would rather not experience too many of them. Full contact to the head is risky. Unless you are a pro or serious amatuer, I would limit my exposure of the full contact head shot. Personally, my eggs are scrambled enough. :lol: I feel that controlled contact, with people that have skill and emotional control, can accomplish much of what you are looking for.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.