• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conditioning the wrong way?

40 cent

hey guys,

just got back from a camp with shihan taylor and others.

at work the last couple of nights, been doing something that seems stupid, but its fun. me and a couple of guys go punch for punch, i know, it sounds redkneck and like a testostorone battle, but its actually all calm and its fun. Needless to say it hurts and leaves quite a few bruises....we have just started on the arms.

the reason im posting? well, firstly i enjoy it, and i think it has some mental benefits. im no longer scared of going punch to punch, i look forward to it, wheras i used to get nervous. i was thinking of doing it in other areas...like the stomach and chest etc..obviously moderating the strength of hits. also, a couple of the guys want to set up kind of a fight club thingie, without punching to the head.

so, providing it stays calm and so forth, tell me what you think of it....i guess it conditioning right? getting used to taking a hit? i realise it would be better doing it within a controlled environment, but our dojo does virtually no conditioning, and i train kyokushing, so i want to get tougher :) :wink: , so let me know, any help opiniong etc welcome

cheers, grant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I hate to say it, but battlin_bard has a serious point here. Anyone who knows the well documented exploits (including a video clip of him in action taking on a bull... and defeating it) of the legendary Mas Oyama knows full well that kyokushinkai strongly advocates full body contact sparring and breaking. If your school is not doing this... plain and simple... they're not instructing in kyokushinkai.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

If you and the people are training with are happy doing condition excercises with each other then go for it! Good luck in your training.

It does seem a bit odd, however, that you train Kyokushin but don't do conditioning. Do you do full contact sparring on a regular basis?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Uechi-ryu like Kyokushinkai uses body conditioning as a core training element.

While is is well enough to say that yes its best to move rather than be hit; it is necessary to develop a level of conditioning to be able to absorb an attack and keep going.

This takes away a lot of that initial shock factor *holy smoking Joe he hit me*.

Just a question, as Mas Oyama was Korean..do you consider Kyokushinkai a Korean or Japanese art?

Hehe. Well... he studied chabi (a hybrid of Chinese kempo and Japanese jujutsu), and Chinese shaolin kung fu from ages 9-13, then studied shotokan and goju-ryu. I think the catch to all of this would be that, as far as i know, his parents were Japanese and that he was merely born in Korea and raised there up until the age of 13, at which point he was sent to Japan to attend a boy's military academy. And, to frustrate things further, he was drafted into the Japanese army, whic gives credence to something i heard earlier on the claim he was a Japanese citizen, or at least a dual-citizen.

Ah well... trivia

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro