• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do u own?

cross

Ehm...I definitely recommend tapering the board for makiwara. Cut it in a way that the striking end is about 0.5" thick and thickens eventually to the ground level to ~1 - 1.5" thickness. The board has to have a good give - 10-15" with a good punch is OK.

Having a 4*4" board and using it as it is will only cause your fingerjoints irreparable damage. Not recommended.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think .5 inches is excessive. You can tell if the board is too stiff or just right. If you feel that it is too stiff you can take a plane and shave it down until you get a stiffness that you are comfortable with. At .5 inches thick you could break the board (at least you could cause it to crack, especially if your foam shifts or something). I think having a board that is only 1" in width where you plant it in the ground (which is what I think you're recommending) will cause it to be a very short lived board.

edit: Ok, maybe for people that don't have an inordinate amount of practice with a makiwara, I'd recommend shaving the top of the board down to around an inch or so in width (the part where you place your pad).

• 2 weeks later...

weight bench with weights and

2 thai pads

2 focus pads

2 pairs of gloves

3 pairs of wraps

2 pairs of shin pads

1 pairs of kick boots

2 mouth guards

skipping rope

a small home made sand bag to condition my shins with

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• 3 weeks later...