• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

testing tommrrow

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A shot of wild turkey. :)

Actually, it doesn't go away for me until I'm in the room. The best thing I've found to do is to get there and talk to other people, make sure the junior ranks are doing OK, are feeling good, stretched out, etc. In other words, I put myself to work ironing out other peoples anxieties, and before I know it, I'm in the middle of the test and feeling fine.

If it is your first test, just keep in mind you wouldn't be testing unless your instructor had confidence in your abilities. You don't have to go out there and be the next Funakoshi. You just have to be decent for your level.

Testing becomes more and more about testing your mental abilities as the test wears on. It's once you've been going for awhile and your feeling tired that they start to look at you and see if you have what it takes. If you can keep going strong and working as hard as you can throughout the entire test, chance are you have what it takes.

It also helps to pee before you bow in. Trust me.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

TWO WORDS:

KI BREATHING!

(and maybe your favorite discman blaring your favorite CD into your ears, I really like techno/trance music for this purpose)

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

1. Practice until you can do the required techniques in your sleep.

2. Practice some more.

3. The week leading up to the testing, make sure your diet is healthy. You're going to be nervous enough without gastrointestinal distress adding to the mix.

4. Do not overdo it physically the week of testing, to avoid injuries and accidents. Soft practice a few days before you actually test, combined with moderate physical exercise and stretching. You want to be peaking at testing time without being fatigued.

5. Get enough rest so your body is rejuvinated.

4. Here's where I get a bit mystical. I use Zen teaching to become one with my technique, relax my mind, and understand and realize that it is only a test. :dodgy:

My opinion-Welcome to it.

How do you guys and gals shake off the jitters before testing.All advice will be welcomed

Attend classes regularly and practice. You only get really nervous if you know you can't do it (although everyone gets a bit nervous). But I mean to shake off the 'jitters' as you put it get to the dojo early, warm up, do a few forms n some techniques with a partner n then you'll forget your even nervous.

About the training in the week of the testing ... I was about to test for yellow (8 kyu). Trained like a demon the whole month. At the last training session (next time it was the testing time) I succeded in injuring myself. I had a strained muscle in the back of my right thigh. The day of the exam I ran for the taxi (limping because of the previous injury) and damaged another muscle in the left thigh. Not to mention the pain. Still I attended the exam. I didn't tell my instructor I was injured because I knew he wouldn't let me test. I wasn't limping visible because both legs were busted :D

Just walked really slow trying to wipe the pain grin from my face.

I told my coleagues I was not going to let this opportunity pass away just because of my plain stupidity and bad luck. I was ready to try and eventually abandon if I couldn't move any more.

The miracle is I did it. My techniques were OK and the kiais very loud and sincere (was screaming from pain). I got my belt that night.

The advice ... never train hard when very close to testing. Keep away from cold or extreme heat, eat healthy, visualize your techniques when going to sleep, sleep well the night before testing..

The jitters can be shaken off by not thinking it's the end of the world. Be confident, relaxed, talk to the others and so on.

Thanks guys for the advice.Things went good.I was in the zone I guess I can't even remember doing my forms.

The best testings are the ones you don't remember. Unfortunately, the times I did the worst, I remember exactly where I screwed up forms-wise, how bad sparring was, why my break failed etc. *shudder*

My opinion-Welcome to it.