Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a video of Taika Oyata performing the Tomari version of Seisan. He performs it the way that equaninimus is describing. I've always been taught to perform Seisan this way. By this way, I mean with normal speed/ power/ focus.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

this kata is simular to wado seishan in name olny wado seishan is named after the stance seishan dachi where the hips are dropped and you should be or attemping to be rooted its a diffrent kata to wado entirly thanx for the link Edited by wado_lee

theres no one style just your style---------

this kata is aimular to wado seishan in name olny wado seishan is named after the stance seishan dachi where the hips are dropped and you should be or attemping to be rooted its a diffrent kata to wado entirly thanx for the link

Well, no.

Wado Sesan (and Funakoshi's Hangetsu, from which it is derived) were adaptations of the Itosu version of this same kata. The stance, sesan-dachi, and the slow, tension movements, were likely the result of Funakoshi attmemping to integrate some naha-te principles into his generic karate. In actuality, the version of Sesan practiced by the Funakoshi lineage (Shoto, and Wado) bears great resemblence to that in the video. I would reccomend you watch it again, with an open mind.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

for me they look simular in direction only what FUNAKOSHI(thank you for the name) is looking at is a totally diferent principle behind his version...... not knocking any of them but i think they differ greatly in practice

theres no one style just your style---------

I think the big four kata of shotokan you are looking for are bassai dai, kanku dai, jion and empi.

Certainly Kanku Dai and Jion, since those are the WKF shitei Kata for Shotokan. I would actually select Jitte over Empi, since Jitte (to me, at least) emphasizes the solidity and linearity of force that categorizes Shoto technique better than Empi.

For Matsuayashi Shorin Ryu would you agree with the "party line" that Kusanku is the "core Kata" of that style?

In BB clas this past Wednesday we worked on Wanchin, the kata Zenryo Shimabukuro (who founded Seibukan) developed. It is something of an amagamation of the "lessons" found in Sesan, Bassai, and Kusanku. I found it rather interesting. :)

Which kata is considered a core kata of your system? I think it's safe to say shotokan's core kata are bassai dai and kanku dai. In my dojo we focus on bassai dai, tekki's and sochin.

I have been thinking about this post, since the Sochin practiced by Shotokan is nowhere near the Sochin practiced by any other style. According to tradition, Funakoshi sent Giko and Ohtsuka to Mabuni to learn this kata, alomng with Niseishi and Gojusjiho. My understanding is that Giko disliked Sochin, and decided to come up with a kata of his own, and just kept the name. Sochin is certainly very "shoto-like" with its emphasis on power and stength.