• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Core Kata

Sho-ju

Which kata is considered a core kata of your system? I think it's safe to say shotokan's core kata are bassai dai and kanku dai. In my dojo we focus on bassai dai, tekki's and sochin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the Naihanchi katas and the Kusanku kata. I can't imagine doing without any of the kata in the system. Please define core as it pertains to your question. I think I understand but i want to ask to be sure.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

i think the principle of all the tension katas ie seishan, ; Sanchin are probly the most valuable in what ever system you train not for the fact it is done slowly or under tension but it starts you understanding the need of dropping your hips and the term ive heard alot called rooting (to the ground). it blows my mind when i think about the reason behind these katas

theres no one style just your style---------

I agree with Sho-ju. I think the core Shotokan kata are Bassai and Kanku (both Dai and Sho) and the Tekki series. Sochin is a good kata to add with those too.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i think the principle of all the tension katas ie seishan, ; Sanchin are probly the most valuable in what ever system you train not for the fact it is done slowly or under tension but it starts you understanding the need of dropping your hips and the term ive heard alot called rooting (to the ground). it blows my mind when i think about the reason behind these katas

However, unlike the Itosu lineage schools (Shoto, Wado, Kobayshi Shorin, Shobayashi Shorn) we don't do Sesan as a tension kata. It is done with regular speed/power/kime.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!