• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I remember one night at my studio in central IL, we did full contact Mah Chi Ki (I think I got that spelled correctly, I don't want to have to dig out my handbook for the correct spelling)..... I felt sick for a week after that night.

But in retrospect, I figure if we do that type of exercise more often in the studio, maybe it wouldn't be such a system shock and cause all that nausea.

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a Kuk Sool devotee for a number of years and began competing in Judo and Jui Jitsu based on Kuk Sool and Olympic Wrestling training.

Wrist locks are not legal in Judo competition, but even in formats where they are allowed they are very difficult or impossible to execute.

There is a huge difference between a partner standing in defense stance in class and allowing you to twist his wrist and facing a determined opponent.

It is sometimes possible to lock the wrist during grappling, but even then it is only after the arm is captured. Might as well go straight to an elbow lock.

During Kuk Sool black belt training we trained under the format Master Simms developed and allowed full contact use of all techniques and fought to submission. Effecting a wrist lock to submission was very rare.

There are a few 2nd degree techniques based on Judo submissions. These were the only effective techniques in full contact.

That's why I've started up doing Ju Juitsu as well as Kuk Sool. Kuk Sool concentrates a lot on your wristlock and a few elbow lock techniues (although the other week I learnt this great figure 4 armlock in Kuk Sool) but that was in a special Kuk Sool class where we did knife defence n that was really the only time I ever learnt something like that... Ju Juitsu seems to be a lot more full on with armlocks n breaking arms n joints! Quite an ugly martial art actually! Right up my street ;)