• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Soto block in Wado Ryu

ESA-Shotokan

Actually , here is something that has bugged me for a while. I did Wado-Ryu for a short period and one thing I could not grasp was the soto-uke block. Now this was performed from the inside, outwards like shotokan's uchi-uke?

Whereas in shotokan, soto-uke is performed from the outside in!!?

What have I missed here?

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i may be wrong but my learnings on that refer to one bieng a part of arm that blocks the other being the movement of the arm in or out neither in fact are wrong

theres no one style just your style---------

I belvie they are both the same move just prefromed in reverse with no real difference between them

let not the fear of death stay your hand nor defeat your courage.The warrior who will provail is the one who confronts death its self

From what I understand and Practice Uchi-Uke inside our wrist slightly bent and elbow one fist away from body, soto-uke,outside in and accross the whole body to the other side, while uchi-uke block one uses the wrist to hook the punch the soto-uke uses the meaty fleshy part of the forarm,

In Shotokan terminology, soto and uchi refer to the direction of the technique. in just about every other karate style, they seem to refer to the surface used for the technique. Confused yet? :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Japanese <> English

uchi = inside

soto = outside

just my two cents: i'm sure most of the confusion associated with Japanese systems could be alleviated by calling the techniques by their English equivalents. After all, the names of the techniques are actually the Japanese descriptions of the actions. Really, it's kinda silly. I mean, when freestyle wrestling is taught in Japan, the techniques are translated (i.e., they don't call it a "seenghel-legh-taykdowen.") :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro