• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practicing basic punch

ESA-Shotokan

When you are in any stance and practicing a basic chudan thrust punch, do you feel you always need to have your gi on so that you get the snap "feedback" from the punch?

I used to be like that and have found that as you develop the punch correctly, performing it even with no top on delivers the respectful feedback and focus.

Just a little thing I thought I would share as I do find it quite amusing that some people insist on wearing the gi's when practicing as such.

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I find that I can make a loose short sleeve t-shirt snap. I don't use this as feedback for proper technique. Makiwara training and heavy bag training give me the feedback I need to tell whether or not I'm punching properly.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I find that I can make a loose short sleeve t-shirt snap. I don't use this as feedback for proper technique. Makiwara training and heavy bag training give me the feedback I need to tell whether or not I'm punching properly.

Yeah, what he said! :roll:

I prefer to wear a full gi when I train, just because it seems to get me more "into it", and feels more "normal I guess. However, my dojo can get quite hot in the summertime, so usually about the 1st of May we go with gi pants and a decent t-shirt and belt unbtil the snow starts to fly again..usually about early October around here.

Just my opinion here, but that "snap" of the material you are wearing isn't always a good indication of power and speed. A beginner can make a heavy weight gi snap with little effort, and poor technique usually. As Sasori_Te stated...a heavy bag, or full contact sparring is a much better indicater of speed and power. ROCK THAT SUCKER!!! :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

i have seen in some competition kata that people slap there own gi to give the appearance of speed it not only makes me laugh i also down grade the kata... when will they learn

theres no one style just your style---------

i have seen in some competition kata that people slap there own gi to give the appearance of speed it not only makes me laugh i also down grade the kata... when will they learn

I've seen that too! What system was that? Parker Kenpo maybe? We will do something similar, but not intentionally slap the chest/gi for effect, but rather the "slapping hand" had just parried the punch away and down from your body and you punch over it to your opponent.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

its coming more and more into lots of style mainly competition clubs whatever style none in particular

even some traditional clubs tell students to do it in kata but they find it difficult unless you bring it into basics therfore for me the basics change meaning

again im probly wrong!!!!!!!!!

theres no one style just your style---------

We will do something similar, but not intentionally slap the chest/gi for effect, but rather the "slapping hand" had just parried the punch away and down from your body and you punch over it to your opponent.

Same goes here. I try to do a parry-type movement when appropriate with the free hand. I don't change the kata, but it helps enforce quick blocks. I find that a simple brush block can parry most of the stuff that comes in from the waist up. Pair that with some body change and counter technique and you've got a good, dynamic combo.

I tend to do and teach the same type movement you guys are talking about. A lot of that type of snap comes along with having the proper amount of relaxation as you execute your technique.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I was thinking, one thing I should make clear about my original post here is that I am referring to when I practice alone and in private!

I don't think the poor folk at the dojo could bear seeing me half naked!!

Or maybe they could..?

:)