• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a lot of good advice ill barely add to....

even on your heavy bag work, act like your dodging punches. just move around, get used to doing it all the time, all the time, all the time.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

go and buy a top and bottom bag, there about 30$ U.S. I noticed a great improvent in my bobing/slipping of punches within the 2nd week that I had it , it also improves you punching acuracy, timing, and speed a great deal also.

but still the best way is to go to class as much as possible, becouse punching/dodging a bag will never be the same as punching/dodging a person.

now that i think of it, you might benifit from shadow boxing, so long as you, again, act like your dodging and weaving and all that good stuff.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

i'd say the best thing (and this my training secret) is to do slipping plyometrics

bob left and right as fast as possible, just side to side like ur doin that midsection stretch, and enough to get out of the way of a boxing glove, so a fist is that much ezier, u can set a boxing glove on a shelf or something in front of you since u won't b going forward and just watch that to make sure ur doin it right, make sure to keep up w/e guard u hold normally, that way your body adjusts to moving quickly in that position

**the trick is to change directions as fast as possible, its the changing of directions that make plyometrics work in this case**

then just do the same thing forward then back (i wouldn't suggest using this one a lot in MT) but its for getting under hooks, cuz its ezier than dropping you whole body and a LOT faster- especially comign back up, its awesome to throw straight body punches while doing this, or short crosses to the floating ribs

i've only found two things that really build speed for me, one is plyo's but most of all REPS REPS REPS REPS REPS!

look at me, i can dance, i know tae kwon do!

• 2 weeks later...

I use quite a bit of weaving when I spar in my class. I used to bend kind of forward to duck blows (this worked quite well when I sparred with a boxing friend). I say used to because when I sparred against my instructor, he dropped an axe kick on the top of my head. So now when I duck down, I stay centerd over my hips.

The greatest clarity is profound silence.

I use quite a bit of weaving when I spar in my class. I used to bend kind of forward to duck blows (this worked quite well when I sparred with a boxing friend). I say used to because when I sparred against my instructor, he dropped an axe kick on the top of my head. So now when I duck down, I stay centerd over my hips.

dude... u were ducked long enough to get kicked from above??

look at me, i can dance, i know tae kwon do!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jiyn, keep moving moving moving! Bob and weave and make a difficult target for your opponent... Try to draw out his lead so you can counter. For example, creep towards him and watch his lead hand (and his legs if applicable), you'll get a 'gut feeling' when the jab is coming, duck down, to the side, and toward your opponent and slip you own jab into his ribs... I knocked my mate chris on his backside with that move once... It's a ripper!

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK