• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An Idea for a Grading System

i would say that it isn't the belt system that is flawed, rather that it is the syllabus and the way that it is followed, which needs to be addressed.

when you adhere to an already rigid syllabus in a rigid fashion there are going to be problems when the thing we are adressing is martial arts and martial ability which by its nature, is alive and expressive.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the belt system is well and truly flawed how can clubs just add kyu grades at there will just to line there pockets it should be regulated also time is important between grade for experience

theres no one style just your style---------

Okay wado_lee. Who exactly would be responsible for that regulation? You would need some sort of world martial arts governing body. Try to take in what that implies for a second. That would be about as effective as the proverbial "one legged man in a butt kicking contest". Actually the one-legged guy would fare much better.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

ok then where will it end 12th dan western gradings after 3yrs of training or 20kyu grades where will it end have you any suggestions

My suggestion is to leave it alone. You can't police everyone, so why try? And all any governing body can do is limmit its subjects. That doesn't mean just belts, it means limmitations on every aspect of the arts. You'd destroy the martial arts. Things have a way of working out if left alone. The charlitans will be exposed for what they are. And the market allways has adjusted to meet the needs of the practitioners. Those who want to buy the pretty belts will always buy them. Those who want to get seriouse will allways be able to strangle them with their belt, and there will always be someone to teach them how.

Freedom isn't free!

I think delta is right. Deltas points are exactly the kinds of things that I was talking about. The belt system while not perfect is something that should be decided within a style or school. After all it is only one superficial aspect of the martial arts. It's nice to discuss it in a forum like this but would you really like an independent governing body dictating everything about your training?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Well, it would be nice if the United Nations enacted a resolution stating that, "belts are the devil," but we know how well that would fare... :roll:

Toss it in with the thousand or so other U.N. resolutions that are ignored, until the U.S. finds one of them... useful...

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i agree that its unimportant and imposible to police i just hope for MA in general the majority of schools have the same attitude as yourselves

my point is, using some sort of recognisable means of differentiating between people of different ability and level of training is a good thing.

a belt system does this rather well.

the problem occurs when people mess with it.

when someone adds grades betwen belts or even adding a colour to their own belt system, it isn't the system that is causing the problem.

after all, it is the people who are messing with it.

like i say, the problem is that a lot of people abuse the way the system is applied.

analogy time.

a knife is a dead object.

some people use it to cut plants.

some people use it to cut food.

some people use it to kill people with.

the belt system is a dead thing.

some people use it to keep check/track of their students and their progress.

some people use it to let students know how far they are on their journey.

some people use it as a means to earn money.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

the belt system is a dead thing.

some people use it to keep check/track of their students and their progress.

some people use it to let students know how far they are on their journey.

some people use it as a means to earn money.

I use it to hold my pants up. (line borrowed from Jimmy Woo)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro