• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An Idea for a Grading System

I've never liked the belt system most martial arts use. I'm not going to go through the reasons why as I think most people know the arguments against belt grading systems.

What do you think to the following idea, as a replacement grading system?

You have about ten grades below black belt. You train as much as you want, and you take an assessment once a year (maybe once every six months, but I think once a year is better). At the assessment, the grading instructor sees what you can do, how good you are at it, and gives you a grade that fits your skill and understanding. You don't go up the grades one at a time, you just get given a grade that fits your ability at the end of the year.

I think this system would have two important advantages: first, students go up the grades at different rates according to how much effort they put in. A student who trains hard every day could be a few grades ahead of a student who trains just once a week but has been doing the art for the same amount of time. Grading instructors are so reluctant to give fails these days, that with the current belt system everyone goes up at the same rate, because no one ever fails.

Secondly, it takes the emphasis off just getting to the next belt. Instead of a student training just so he can get to the next belt, he just trains as hard as possible all year. I see too many students who learn all the necessary skills to advance to their next belt, and then stop training hard because they know they're going to get the next belt anyway. Anything beyond what you need for the next belt is not necessary with that system. With the system I've suggested, there is no 'next' belt so you have to train hard all the time to get the highest grade possible at the assessment.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although we still have the coloured belts, at the Ju Jitsu club I attend we grade like this... you don't have to aim for a specific grade. You show the examiners exactly how much (or how little) you feel that you can, then they award the new grade appropriate to your achievements.

I (skipping 9th Kyu "White with tab" and 8th Kyu "red") got my 7th Kyu yellow belt after only 3 weeks in the club, because I was able to apply my past Judo, Karate and Kickboxing knowledge. I know a lot of clubs would make you wait, though.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Although we still have the coloured belts, at the Ju Jitsu club I attend we grade like this... you don't have to aim for a specific grade. You show the examiners exactly how much (or how little) you feel that you can, then they award the new grade appropriate to your achievements.

That's basically what i'm thinking. I've just never seen a club that actually does that before.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

It's not really a bad idea but it doesn't sound like you're getting rid of the belt system.

I'm considering doing awaywith formal testing myself and just awarding a belt when I feel the student has reached the level I want for the next test.

I have done this with a few of my upper students before, just gave them their next belt and certificate and no formal test.

I have been tested this way myself for my 3 black belts.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I like your idea Shorinryu Sensei. I've been awarded rank this way as well. It gives you incentive to try hard all of the time (if you need extra incentive). I've awarded 2 of my students rank this way as well. They were my workhorse students that gave 100% every time. I did this to show my other students that there are other ways to advance besides a formal belt test.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I like your idea Shorinryu Sensei. I've been awarded rank this way as well. It gives you incentive to try hard all of the time (if you need extra incentive). I've awarded 2 of my students rank this way as well. They were my workhorse students that gave 100% every time. I did this to show my other students that there are other ways to advance besides a formal belt test.

Thanks. I've been testing students since 1978 (yeah, a long time) and the more I think about it...I test them every day in class in my mind, so why make them suffer through a long, stressful testing process? I've always felt it was a formality anyway, and I never test them until I know they can pass. Every one of my students has earned his/her rank. When I see them compared to other systems wearing the same rank, I always smile and take great pride in what I have done to these people and feel that belt for belt, they can hold their own against just about anybody (except the pro's probably) from any system.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thanks. I've been testing students since 1978 (yeah, a long time) and the more I think about it...I test them every day in class in my mind, so why make them suffer through a long, stressful testing process? .

I'm just a beginner in the arts, but I think that there is a good effect of having the stress of being tested. I learned alot about myself by facing the anxiety of performing in front of people. I learned to control my anxiety, and calming myself down, and remembering to breath.... :brow: and then I was able to do my kata, basics, and kumite. Each time I became more and more relaxed, and in control of myself.. even though I still felt the butterflies.

I know that if I ever was in a position wherein I had to face a moment of self-defense.. I'm going to be stressed, and anxious. I'll have to calm myself, and think.. if I'm going to get out of that situation in the best manner possible.

Testing isn't as scary as facing someone on the street who wants to rape you, but I believe that it helps you develope the inner tools needed to cope.

My spirit is never daunted by training, but sometimes my body begs to differ.

supergroup7,

you've made a really good point in regards to the testin process, so it does have it's uses. as far as the on-going evaluation of any student, and then promoting them w/o the formality of a test, i can see this done perhaps after 1st black.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Bah! Friggin' ranks... *grumbles*

I agree that, if ranks are going to be part of the system, then tests shouldn't be part of the process. As far as the butterfly effect when testing, this is far different than an actual encounter and requires you to conquer different biochemical effects. Besides, those same effects could be experienced by going on stage, or speaking in public. Not necessarily a 'prerequisite' for obtaining a belt.

Another thing. Me? I am turned off by belt testings, for some of the reasons brought up here. People focusing on just the techniques or actions necessary to obtain the 'next' belt in hierarchical process as well as the students that get 'stuck' at a certain stage, simply because they have difficulties with one particiular aspect of a system.

I'm more inclined to having something which provides competence ratings, as badges, for each area of study, such as for kicks, throws, strikes, psychology of conflict, etc (clearly dependent on the system). This allows other students a better idea on who they need to approach to obtain a greater understanding on a particular area of the system. It also would encourage people to make themselves a bit more 'balanced.' Similar to rifle/grenade competency badges obtained in the military. Tutors, assistant instructors, and instructors could be defined by how many badges they have and their degree of competence on those areas.

Just a thought...

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro