• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Funakoshi's heian nidan has something odd

goedikey

Hello,

call me nuts or obsessive but the ninth picture (yoy being the first) on heian nidan has something odd.

At least, my master has been to great lenghts in telling me that my toes should always be facing downwards when doing this kick...

Kekomi and Keage have their toes facing downwards right ?

Look at the ninth picture...

http://www.nbkarateclub.it/gichin/H2.html

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
ive studied the picture and dont really understand your point i always though maegeri was striking with the ball of your foot in a forward motion not kingeri upward motion am i wrong?? picture further on shows ball of foot doesnt it or is it just the timing of the picture taken ps havnt we made the kata more difficult than it was meant to be

theres no one style just your style---------

Did you not read the wording at the top? The pictures are of Pinan Shodan not Heian Nidan as modified by Yoshitake Funakoshi. You are correct. Instead of doing a simultaneous side kick/ back fist, you are actually doing a simultaneous front snap with the toes turning down to attack a pressure point on the upper inside thigh/ back fist. Teh later pictures may have been snapped before he turned the toes down. It's a non-question I think.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

What I find striking about those old photos is that his stances are much higher than the stances being taught at our dojo. I wonder if it is due to his age or just that someone just decided to change what was being taught? From what I understand the Okinowan styles tend to have a higher stance that the Shoto guys.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

i touched on it earlier i think we have evolved this concept to be more difficult than it was ever meant to be the old ones didnt look for style but i wouldnt like to be hit by one would you

theres no one style just your style---------

ive studied the picture and dont really understand your point i always though maegeri was striking with the ball of your foot in a forward motion not kingeri upward motion am i wrong?? picture further on shows ball of foot doesnt it or is it just the timing of the picture taken ps havnt we made the kata more difficult than it was meant to be

He is either using his instep to contact the cajones (groin kick) or tobegeri, ("big-toe kick) to the inguinal crease- the crease between the thigh and lower abdomen where your femoral artery runs.

That is the original kick. It was changed to a ball of the foot kick when unconditioned kids became the primary students. Plus, the ball of the foot kick is less concentrated and penetrating. You must kick a makiwara for some time to make your big toes strong enough to do this wicked technique. It's not good to pound kids bones before their growth plates have closed off.

If you are looking at pics from "Karate Jutsu", then you are seeing Funakoshi's interpretation of Shorei and Shorin Ryu kata. In "Karate-Do Kyohan" many of the forms were "adapted" for sport karate. Conditioning became more important than application for self-preservation. A "kinder and gentler" karate was created.

Yes, there is a right and wrong way....

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!

The deeper, stronger stances were developed more by Yoshitake Funakoshi.

Regarding the kick, it is indeed a mae-geri and is practiced correctly in styles such as wado-ryu, where you perform a chudan block with the mae-geri.

If you look at the actual translation of that move, it says perform a kick to the side, not "perfrom a side kick".

Just all in the terminology and how it is perceived.

Good fun!

:)