• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shukokai

aefibird

Yesterday a friend of mine who lives in another county phoned me to ask about karate. Her and her son want to start (he's 12). She's asked around and found out that the nearest dojo to them is shukokai. She asked me about it, but I could only tell her generally about karate and not about that style, 'cos I don't know anything about it!!

So, what is Shukokai like (in comparison to my style Shotokan)?

Thanks!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
more simular to shito-ryu and wado than shotokan in nature meaning a little softer and more upright in stance i believe it has to many katas though----------- i belive shito-ryu is a style ive seen and enjoyed on occasions as guest

theres no one style just your style---------

Shuko Kai is the Tani-Ha Shito lineage. They may be tournament oriented (Tani's motivation for founding his style was to more effectively compete) but that really depends on the school. I know its big in Scotland, where Tommy Morris has a strong group.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I'm a Scottish Shukokai practitioner, 1st kyu brown belt.

Shukokai is built on strong stances, not as wide as shotokan stances with a strong emphasis on technique and hip twists, everything is done by the hips. Roughly a kata per belt learnt until around 2nd kyu where others are taught at instructor's discretion. It is more competition oriented here with many top class exponents. I don't quite agree that it's a softer style, it is derived from shito ryu but i would say shukokai has more of a hard edge to it, very hard hitting style especially once double hip technique is understood.

Hope that helps. Any more questions, i'll be happy to answer!

:karate:

Mijukumono ga! Warawaseru na!