• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My intro - an instructor

Sasori, I have a lot of respect for you here, but I disagree on this. Regardless of your reasons for teaching, you DO have to market in order to get the bills paid. While I think the phrase "focus on bringing the negative of team sports out" was a poor choice in wording, pointing out the advantages you have over the competition is hardly unethical.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I understand. We all have our own opinions. I have never viewed team sports as my competition. I feel that if a student doesn't want to be there learning what I have to teach, then I don't want him/ her there. These are the reasons that I could never open up a full time dojo. I've never seen a full time dojo where the instructor didn't compromise himself/ herself to some degree. I have a few friends with large commercial schools and they all envy my ability to make decisions based on the best interests of the art rather than having to worry about keeping enough bodies in place to pay the bills. No Thanks....

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Sorry you misunderstand.

I am astounded by the level of attitudes here honestly!

I started a website in hopes of sharing tips and techniques that work to aid the instructor and the club.

It seems that most that responded are picture perfect, have a complete collection of entertaining drills.

No need for ideas as everyone is blessed and 'knows what they are doing'.

Badmouthing other sports? read it again. That article is focused on how to combat the drop of students during 'peak' seasonal sport times....

But of course no one here suffers from that eh'.

As for the 'negative of team sports' - I'll stand by that; only having so many spots open IS a negative..especially for the youngsters all trying to fill what 15 spots or so.

I am sure all of you are quality instructors, as a business professional both on and off the mat I tend to look for ways to improve the quality of training.

Staying inside my own art has little to do with it, rather the difference between adding some excited variety to classes or the same ole' humbrum rountine.

Full time and part time instructors could certainly benefit from this.

Perhaps others are not ready for this, you guys certainly seem to have everything under control and never need to look for new ideas.

I understand. We all have our own opinions. I have never viewed team sports as my competition. I feel that if a student doesn't want to be there learning what I have to teach, then I don't want him/ her there. These are the reasons that I could never open up a full time dojo. I've never seen a full time dojo where the instructor didn't compromise himself/ herself to some degree. I have a few friends with large commercial schools and they all envy my ability to make decisions based on the best interests of the art rather than having to worry about keeping enough bodies in place to pay the bills. No Thanks....

Fair enough. To a certain degree, you never really want it to become a business...I do martial arts because I've loved it since I stepped into my first dojo. I love the competition, I love the strategy, and I love opening up my students to new ways of thinking. Personally, I'd like to think its possible to market a successful martial arts school without compromising the integrity of the art, although I see the problems with the "instant gratification" mentality of today's society that demands a black belt in under a year.

As for koreauechi, I commend you in providing a site that could potentially help out several instructors. Realize that most posters here are VERY cautious about anything that would commercialize their system. In a time when you can get a black belt on ebay, it is essential that we, as "true" students of the martial arts, distance ourselves from any semblance of a "quick fix" or anything else that would make it seem like our primary concern is getting people in the dojo, as opposed to maintaining the integrity of our art. It sickens me to watch so-called black belts that came out of a system where they basically bought their belt. To pass off that kind of belt as anything more than a cheap piece of black cloth is a slap in the face to those of us that busted our behinds for years to earn the title of first dan. Rant over. :D

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I just re-read what I put this morning here...maybe sounded a bit too cynical...regrets for that.

Yeah; I like to add new ideas and training methods to workouts..thats how the site idea came to be.

It has nothing with commercial vrs. not-for-profit..as many ideas (once the site starts going) surely can be applied to both.

I am interested in learning from anyone with something to say..be it an idea, advice, tips etc. As well as adding from my own 14 year experiences.

Thats why I am here. I live in a country where training ideas cannot really be shared that well, as the language barrier and the teaching methods are so different....

Anyhow for those who think its too commercial for them, then don't visit my site...its not there for contraversy(sp)

I must admit that i understand most everyone's positions and arguments (well, except for Michigan... but i like having reasons to pester him). As a small business & marketing consultant, i have loads of information to provide that will help to ensure 'quality' stays high, while expenses are managed. I agree wholeheartedly that many hard-road martial artists dread being labeled as McDojoists, but I am also aware that there are many very successful martial arts franchises that are widely respected (Gracie JJ, Machado BJJ, Tomiko Aikido, etc etc).

I agree that some of the ideas posed on your website may be helpful, but i will also agree that there is much there that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Sort of like, "here are some tricks i use to pull in business."

When i have a little more time, i'll introduce an article to this forum on marketing & small business management as it applies to 'quality assurance' and the 'martial arts.' Koreauechi, we could talk more about it then. I'm just not sure i wish to contribute in a piecemeal fashion at this time... anymore than you would like to instruct someone in your system by educating them on only one or two subroutines.

However, and i want to make this very clear... i do like the foundation to the idea you pose. I would absolutely love to assist hardroad martial artists in becoming successful with running and maintaining their schools... for they are the ones that truly offer something to the community as a whole. I.e., give in trust to those who have given in trust.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro