• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wado katas - superempi

wado_lee

we have recently been doing the kata superempi and have now been told it is in the wado ryu sylabus as the 16th kata for years i was under the impression otsuka only had 15 ------------ true or not the story goes that otsuka was teaching superempi and one day forgot a part of the kata so it was not continued believe it or not this quote was from sensei sakigami head of wado kai england can any one shead any further light on the situation and your thoughts about the kata -------- i do like the kata very much but it does not seem like the standard wado kata

theres no one style just your style---------

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wado Kai uses more kata than Wado Ryu Renmei. the additional kata used in Wado Kai include Suparinpei, Niseishi, Jitte, Jion, Jiin, Wansu, Rohai, and Passai.

For a good look at the hstory and origins of Suparinpei, see Higoanna's article on the hata in the current Classical Fighting Arts.

I suspect Ohtsuka learned the kata from Mabuni Kenwa. I know he was one of the group of students sent by Funakoshi to learn Gojishiho, Niseishi, and Sochin in the mid 1930s. Ohtsuka maintained a relationship with Mabuni until the latter's death.

The Wado version of Suparinpei resembles the Shito version quite closely, the only difference being the use of Wado ukewaza.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

thanx equaninimus i like the kata but still find it very flowery compared to all other wado katas doesnt resemble any of the others you mention

ive tried to count the moves is it 106????????

No, the name itself means 108, but it refers to a concept from Bhuddism, not the number of movements. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been training?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

believe it or not on and off for 20yrs 8 as a junoir then quite a long break been back about 9yrs

jujitsu just 1yr

you seem to have alot of knowlege do you read alot

Wado Guy-------

im in UK west mids

does hakuhachi ho still have the same meaning as equaninimus bhudism quote 108 moves