• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks in Karate

RJRKihap

In the three Katas (Uechi Ryu) brought from China to Okinawa, There are only two kicks total. So about 99% hand techniques to kicking techniques. Uechi is mostly grappling. When a kick is applied it is used to bring your opponents head down so you don't have to reach up out of Sanchin.

More Practice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in kata the majority of techniques are with the hand because hands are more versatile than legs/feet are (oh oh...here comes the TKD people to argue that one! lol) and most fights end up closer in where the hands have the advantage.

In self-defense training, we use about 50/50 on the hands and feet in theory, but in reality, I suppose it's more 75/25. Our kicks are low and fast, and all parts of your opponents body are considered fair game.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My original post was along the same lines as Shorinryu Sensei. Theory says 50/50 (you don't want the bad habit of favoring one weapon over another). But the reality is 75/25 in favor of hands, maybe even 80/20.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I prefer hands. Feet is good, but I suck at anything that goes above the hips, except my side kick. :o I like low kicks.

I also like Gatorade.

In all 3 Karate clubs (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan) that I've been to, I'd say the ratio is about 60 to 70% Hand techniques, 40 to 30% Legs. As another poster said, though, kicks are used very seldom in Kata. (In TKD forms, they are also a lot less common than hand techniques I think?)

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Well...I guess blocks should be factored in also. Not many people block with legs and feet. At my karate school we seem to focus on kicks more but thats because they take more effort to exicute and also the are harder to exicute. But yea...it depends on the person and the school.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

I block most incoming kicks with legs and feet and knees. I find that my feet and legs are best used to give me a solid base and if used properly steal my opponents base.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I found that out when a friend blocked my low kick with his massive shin....ouch

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"