• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've started taking Jiu-Jitsu...

Ahhh, it's been awhile since I've posted here. Some of you might remember me from around a year ago. Since then I've basically been out of the martial arts, working and preparing for college. I just recently started looking for something new as the last art I practiced in I had to quit. I've found a place where they teach Jiu-Jitsu, Kempo (sp?), Aikido, and conventional Karate. My plan is to take all of those, with maybe the exception of Karate on a weekly basis.

Since I'm relatively new to Jiu-Jitsu (I've only had one class) and I haven't even taken the other classes yet, so can someone please post some info on how these arts are compared to each other, and their differences?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Smith

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
well it depends a bit on whether it's Kenpo or Kempo. Also, what exactly is "conventional karate"? A little more info on the school and specific styles would be helpful.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Kenpo- ancient chinese martial art, striking/block oriented, but it depends on what style.

Karate- .... hard to explina unless you know what style. i would say probably alot of strikes and katas. very traditional. but that depends on how it's taught

Juijitsu- usually focussed on grappeling with a mix of striking. pretty well rounded. juijitsu was the base on which Judo and Aikido were developed.

Aikido- VERY soft art. no strikes are taught (traditionally). uses momentum and circulair motions to throw or imobilize opponents.

thats basically how they stack up. personally i would take Juijitsu and Kenpo or Aikido and Kenpo. that should give you a good mix of stirking and grappeling. you could take Karate instead of Kenpo. i just prefer Kenpo.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

ive not been training jujitsu for long could anyone tell me if there was one technique to get right then others will follow what would it be

theres no one style just your style---------

Don't hold me to this but I believe the system of Jiu-Jitsu is the one by Gracie. I haven't asked a lot of questions as you can see, lol.

i may be wrong but i think you refer to BJJ (Brazilian jujitsu) for the gracies and that is a style like wado -ryu and skotokan they are both karate just strings of the same art katate

theres no one style just your style---------

From what I have seen Japanese Jujitsu is a well-rounded martial art (Not a sport) that involves throws, locks, holds, blocking, striking techniques and possibly weapons training depending on how traditional the school is. Very good for close combat defence

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

There's Gracie jujutsu, Brazilian jujutsu as taught by the Machado brothers, a small handful of other respectable bjj groups, and then there are a lot of posers attempting to capitalize on ignorance.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro