• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

knife and gun defense

Have you even sparred with foam, wooden or aluminum training knife? Do you know how long before someone is "cut"?

Generally "on first contact"... in short "very early"

You will notice if your opponent has a blade because if you don't have one you're done, whether your "keeping his energy low" or not

I don't agree with your ascertation that you will definately know if your opponent has a blade. Nor do I agree with your (emperically disprovable) claim that "you're done" if he does.

Both of those things said, I was referring offensively. With a dark, sharp knife; it is quite possable for me to be cutting you repeatedly ina fight without you realizing that I am armed. This situation works well for me as it causes you to fail to focus on and control the knife, as well as allowing you to "pace yourself for the fight", not realizing that you are bleeding.

I'm saying that using a knife as a scare tactic is a bad survival strategy. Like a gun, you pull it if it's the last resort. To promote any other ideas on this forum is criminal.

Again I must disagree. I don't "get in fights". If there is a confrontation it is because, despite my best efforts, one has been forced. At the point that I'm convinced I am in danger, and assuming range permits, drawing my firearm would be my *first* combative response. I would be a great fool, armed with a handgun, to willingly get into a wrestling match with it holstered.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to go with JerryLove on this one. If I have a gun and I have tried to get out of a situation and failed, then it is more than likely serious enough for me to pull a hand gun. I would NEVER pull a gun without the express intent to use it. Pulling any weapon without proper cause (circumstances warrant it) or intent to use it is the height of foolishness. If you've never had to do it before, firing a weapon at a human being is a very difficult thing, even with "justification". I say this about people with a normal sense of right and wrong. It also puts you in an awkward position legally if you do shoot someone without legal "justification". Then, you have to live with the consequences of your action. There are many things to consider in this arena. Finally, you risk having the weapon taken and used against you if you pull it out and suddenly find you "can't" use it.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

If I have a gun and I have tried to get out of a situation and failed, then it is more than likely serious enough for me to pull a hand gun. I would NEVER pull a gun without the express intent to use it. Pulling any weapon without proper cause (circumstances warrant it) or intent to use it is the height of foolishness.

Both Jerry love and Sasori_Te make some good points here. But this is the one I want to comment on. I agree with the statement, as far as it goes. But you don't allways have to fire immediately. The trick is to not get into a mindset where you expect the gun to control things if you don't use it immediately. Your intention is to shoot if you pull the gun, but use a trigger (not the one under your finger), something that causes you to fire. Your target is aquired, and if he moves, you shoot. If you give a command and he does not comply, or does not do it how you think he should, you shoot. If you see a weapon, and he even looks like he's thinking of useing it, you shoot. If it's a gun, shoot. If he's invaded your space and shown intent to harm, shoot. There is no question, no hesitation. Sometimes, this trigger has already occured when the firearm is deployed and you shoot immediately. If you have the distance (read time), and the situation calls for it, you may change your aim point and wound. But be willing to kill if necessary. I don't hold with killing if it is at all avoidable, but sometimes the sure knowlege that you will do whatever is necessary, not the gun, is what saves the bad guys life by encourageing him to do as told.

Freedom isn't free!

As for the argument about whether a person knows if he's being cut or stabbed, or even shot- sometimes. But I know, and know of more, people who've experienced this and did not know about it until after the fight was over. If you've been in a fight, you can understand that it doesn't really hurt 'till later. Your body has a lot of good mechanisms to deal with pain and debility and keep you going.

Freedom isn't free!

But you don't allways have to fire immediately. The trick is to not get into a mindset where you expect the gun to control things if you don't use it immediately.

Agree completely. You must be ready and willing to use the weapon... but that does not mean you need to actually do so just because it's out.