• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

knife and gun defense

Especially with gun disarms, make sure you start talking to distract you assailant. Pleedingly saing "don't hurt me" relaxes him and puts him off his guard.

Are you speaking from experience?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time you should use a defense against a gun is when there is immediate and present danger of being killed or perminantly maimed.

with that being said, there are really two tpyes of defenses aginst guns.

Gun Drawn and Gun Holstered

to defend against a holstered gun which the assailant is intending to pull out and shoot you with, your best option is to not let him get the gun out.

if you are close enough and they reach down to their holster you can grab their arm and force it straight back towards the holster. Basically you force the gun back into it's holster before they can get it out fully. from here you can do something like:

right hand elbow to the face, break the assailants grip and secure the gun

major outter sweap from behind and sholder strike, then remove and secure gun while they're falling.

basically, you can do any number of things to stop a holstered gun, but the most importnat thing is to NOT LET THEM GET IT OUT!

Defense against a drawn gun is a precise science. in some circumstances your could olny have a few thenths of a second to react. naturally, if you are far enough to do so, RUN.

if this is not the case, your first order or buisness should be to get out of direct line of the gun.

side stepping or turning combined with grabbing the assailants arm to make sure he doesn't swing it around and shoot you is one of the simplest and fastest techniques you could apply.

from here you could punch them in the face, sweep them, turn the gun in towards them and shoot. basically your possibilities are limitless

there are littlerally thousands of ways to defend against a gun, just as there are thousands of ways to defend against a punch. but like Eg Shen says "Take what we want and leave the rest, like a salad bar"

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

For the gun there are certain angles that are very difficult to maintain aim. Generally speaking, the correct direction to move is towards the opposite foot from the lead hand of the opponent. Besides that everything that has already been suggested works well. Hands up, "don't hurt me", get off the line of fire, fast and lethal are your best bets, you don't want to get into a struggle for control of the weapon. I would only suggest defending if you know your life is in danger, since to defend correctly against a gun you must be willing to apply lethal force. Otherwise, know what he wants and give it to him.

The knife is the superior weapon in close, especially when in trained hands. The only problem with a gun is it is more dangerous in untrained hands. Either way if a man pulls out a knife, generally speaking he knows how to use it. In my opinion it is best to present the knife with the outer arm, give it something to cut, don't let him choose the targets, if possible elongate the opponent, maintain control, and stay low. It also never hurts to have a weapon of your own.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

agred with everything said so far. Especially true is that a gun is far easier to defend than a knife. agun only has one lthal point - a knife is dangerous in many many ways. You can hold a gun by the barrel - you cant hold a knife by the blade

a good contraoling technique fro a handgun is to get a finger (even a pinky) behidn the trigger. This will prevent him firing and is easier than it sounds (after much practice ith a prtner who is tryign to 'fire' before i move in.) If unable to get your figner in grip the barrel tightly, which wont prevent him from firign but it can stop the reloading on a semi-auto.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

I'm not advocating this in any way but you can push the slide to the rear on a semi-automatic pistol and it will not fire. A revolver can be grabbed by the cylinder. Or on both you can try and get the webbing of your thumb and finger between the hammer and the firing pin. All these are good in theory but I wouldn't want to try them unless absolutely necessary.

As far as knife defense goes, as someone said earlier, I would rather face someone with a gun than a knife. I took Phillipino knife fighting for a bit and I discovered that someone that knows how to fight with a knife can do SERIOUS damage to you in a short amount of time. I don't care how much training and how many fancy tricks you think you know. My instructor offered any rank of any style to defend against a "knife attack" from him. He gave the target and angle of attack. No one was able to lay a hand on him without being sliced and diced as it were. The "wounds" he was able to inflict wouldn't have been minor.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

That doesn't require much training. I can teach offensive knife use in 15 minutes that very few people can effectively cope with. The knife is a great tool.

I don't agree that a firearm is easer to use than a knife. Everyone knows how to cut, but not everyone can even clear the safety on a firearm. What it has going for it is that, at range, you cannot act to control the firearm. For the knife to hurt you, you are (ostensably) in a position where you can act to control the knife.

You must be some teacher JerryLove. This guys name is Ernie Mayer and he's a natioanlly recognized knife instructor with several real knife fights to his credit. He has the scars to prove it. Even with his teaching technique it takes several months to become slightly proficient. The first things he taught me was were ways to effectively avoid and counter knife techniques.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I can teach offensive knife use in 15 minutes that very few people can effectively cope with.

I'm offensive, and it only took me 40 years to get this way. Does that count? :brow:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro