• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run. :D

Never do anything unless the weapon is in reach. Put your hands up in surrender, then block quickly to control the weapon, and DON'T LET GO! As you're blocking, simultaneously strike the assailant, then disarm.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Knife defense techniques are pretty much the same used for empty handed, with the exception that you have to be more aware of the blade and where it's going. As WolverineGuy stated, you will be grabbing the arm more than with empty handed so you can have more control over the hand weilding the knife.

As for gun technique, as WolverineGuy said, he has to be close, and I tell my class "If all the guy wants is your wallet..GIVE IT TO HIM!" Now, if the guy says "I'm going to kill you", then you'd better try something. We do gun control and disarm about once/month using an old .22 cal pistol I have, with the cylinder out of it and the barrel cleared. We will hold it somewhere within arms reacy and cocked, and take turns doing various defelction or control techniques with it. The entire class watches as each of us works with it and determines if the holder of the pistol, when he pulls the trigger, would have hit the defender or not. I have pretty good luck with it, and a few of my students do also, but in a real situation? I doubt if I would chance it unless absolutly necessary.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Knife and gun techniques are risky manuevers. You are taking a chance no matter how adept you think you are. I know this is easy to say, but the best thing you can do is to stay away from situations that put you at greater risk. WolverineGuy was right on the money with what he said though. However, there are some other finer points that can also help here. For example, when your hands are up, try to position the foot on the side closest to the gun a little further toward the opponent. When you are about to move to take or control; the weapon. Twitch your fingers on the hand furthest from the assailant. Your brain is a funny mechanism. It can't help doing certain things. With this finger twitch the assailants eyes will automatically be drawn to the tiny movement. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me. You can know it's coming and it will still work. Then you must move yourself out of the line of fire as your close hand starts moving the gun away. Just a few little pointers. It's a lot more complicated than that but you shouldn't be trying to do these techniques without an instructor to teach you anyway.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I'm not a fan of the SCARS System, but I do have their gun defense tapes. Good info, techniques work and are adaptable (at least they adapted well to Kenpo), and well done.

A lot of the stuff on the market will likely get you killed, including the Krav Maga I've seen (though I'm not that familiar with the system- I didn't like what I saw of it so never persued it further).

Knives- pass it to the inside and go to work: even if you have to pass it out first, bring it back in so you are outside. Like the military, at this point your sole purpose for existing is to kill the enemy and break things. To tell the truth, I'd sooner face a gun at close range than a knife. Given a little distance and my opinion might change. But in close, nothing beats a knife. It can do a lot of dammage with minimum effort, cuts comeing and going, in any direction, and continually. A gun can't do that. And a knife fighter knows he's in a fight, where someone holding a gun on you expects it to control the situation. Completely different mindset, the knife is combat, the gun may be control. The knife guy has the upper hand, mentally speaking.

Freedom isn't free!

Especially with gun disarms, make sure you start talking to distract you assailant. Pleedingly saing "don't hurt me" relaxes him and puts him off his guard.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido