• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Stance

wado_lee

I can imagine that it generates lots of power, but is it something that can be applied to self defense effectively? It seems like it might slow you down some or make your movements very obvious. I guess the simple question is, how does it translate to the street?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh me too but gyaku means opposite and zuki means strike what is the stance called (it must havw a name) aahhhhhhh!!!

theres no one style just your style---------

Never heard of it or seen it :) I don't like it because the front leg is in a position that makes it easy for an oponent to sweep it, the rear leg is on the same line with the front one (where's the shoulder lenght distance?) it's difficut to maintain balance in this position.

The name itself is weird. Gyaku is reverse, but any stance with the leading hand reversed to the lead leg could be called gyaku.

Back to the stance in discussion. For maximum power is better to focus on the hip rotation. This low stance I think is weird and not that eficient. Of course it's just my opinion and hope I didn't offend anyone.

no offence taken i agree all the emphasis on hip position as for not liking the stance it is just a training aid used to strengthen and stretch you are vulnerable but you wouldnt fight in that stance anyway do you agree? are people saying there is no name for the stance or do we just not know?

theres no one style just your style---------

the photo on the "Kamido" page is not what our firend Wado lee is speaking about! Gyakuzuki dachi is a front stance with the hips in the square position, No more, and no less. feet are still shoulder width apart, there is still about a step and a half between them lengthwise. The "Kamido" page looks like the instructors are making it up as they go along.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

And Wado Lee, if you bother to actually read Ohgami's book, you will find that he refers to both Junzukidachi adn Gyakuzukidachi as variations of zekutsu dachi (front stances.). I think you are making a mountain out of a very small mole hill. Have you agonized this much over Maehanmi Nekoashidachi and Nekoashidachi?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!