• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Stance

wado_lee

could anyone help i have been practicing katate for a number of years and have been asked which to many must be a very simple question one that i have never really thought about

Zenkutsu is a stance

guiaku-zuki is the strike what is guaku stance called

its bugging me help would be appriciated thanx

theres no one style just your style---------

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I understand the question here...

Gyaku-zuki tends to be practiced from zenkutsu-dachi, or front stance. It can be done in any other stance such as fudo-dachi or kokutsu-dachi but zenkutsu-dachi is normally where you start.

:)

thanx the question was asked because we teach a slight movement back and slightly wider when striking gyaku to help enable more hip twist

teaching it i was asked what is the name of the stance

i know gyaku can be thrown from most stances but is there a name for the change from Zenkutsu - dachi to gyaku

cheers

In Ohtsuka's book, it is referred to as "gyakuzuki dachi." Similarly, I never heard of "zenkutsu dachi" when doing Wado, instead referring to it as "junzuki dachi." I don't know about Wado Ryu Renmei, but JKF Wado Kai simply refers to front stances as "junzuki dachi." ther is no name change. Have you asked your instructors?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

i have always refered it as either junzuki dachi and gyakuzuki dachi the only reason i mentioned zenkutsu dachi was to seperate the stance from the strike

zenkutsu being the nearest match i can find

my instructors have always referred as junzuki and gyakuzuki stances but they are either front punch or reverse punch no actually stances OR ARE THEY ????

A close reading of the japanese text of the Ohtsuka book reveals that the differences between the two stances involve the direction of hip rotation, and the angle of the fron knee. If you can find it, the Ohgami book The Katas of Wado Ryu Karate-Do also has a detailed description of the two stances. I boughht mine when it came out in the early 1980s. I think it is only available in the UK now.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!